What's new

How To Find The Best Router For Gigabit Internet

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The FP/SIMD stack (neon/vpf4, aka asimd) is in each a53 core - it's not a shared resource like Bulldozer.

In Aarch32/64 ARMv8-a, AES/Crypto can run on the a53, but that's an option... (not all a53's have the AES stuff)
so perhaps the FPU and neon outside the cores are extra? Unique to realtek's implementation for performing encoding without using the CPU?

So what off-the-shelf ARM board/box can someone throw Pfsense, DDwrt or something else on and get a Gigabit VPN?
take a look at some of the ARM based dev boards from qualcomm/nvidia. They come with beefy CPU/GPU combos and full PCIe port for expansion. You could run different linux based OSes on them, you just need their drivers which from my experience qualcomm does provide for compiling your own android for it so if the drivers for compiling android are compatible with other linux/unix based OS than its something you can consider.

Good to hear R7800 is best for wired so as R7000 was top of the line when it was launched as 1st Wave 1 1900 series.

I was wondering why R700 was not used here. Though we are seeing the routing speed wan - lan and not any generation of WIF standard's.

i believe even r7000 should cope up to are even beat this competition.

If possible try to add R700- to the comparision.

so perhaps the FPU and neon outside the cores are extra? Unique to realtek's implementation for performing encoding without using the CPU?

No, the block diagram is just breaking out the function... can't have neon+vfp without the rest of the core...

And with VPN, it's not a given that even bigger cores like Alpine's dual/quad A15 core, or Marvell's quad-A72 can do gigabit...

Jim Thompson, one of the pfSense principal engineers, related that even Intel's C2558 quad stabilizes out around 400Mbps with L2Tp/IPSec, which is more efficient than OpenVPN... (can't remember if this was related on his twitter or reddit handle)

i believe even r7000 should cope up to are even beat this competition.

The R7000 should be similar to the RT-AC68U, since's it's basically close enough that pirates have actually ported AsusWRT-RMerlin to the R7000...

cool. But where is the VPN stuff coming. Is it like these bridged as a client to VPN service which the service promise no bandwidth limitation and we hardly able to reach 50+ at time 65% of the ISP rated speed.

i remember i used to drill many who advertised their MIPS based portable VPN router as unnecessary as it was popular in china despite PCs already having the ability, only people didnt know how to set them up. Now we dont hear about them anymore probably because people realised they could do it for free on their machines and phones and is faster rather than buying a piece of hardware that has it done for them.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!