What's new

How to force device to use specific access point and/or AiMesh?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Yarzy

Occasional Visitor
Hi everyone, my first post here on the forums. I think similar questions have been asked but I was unable to find the answer to this. Just a quick overview of my setup, I have 2 RT-AX86U's, one acting as main, one set up in AiMesh mode, hardwired. I also have an older RT-AC66U in the garage connected hardwired as well via ethernet over power. The garage is in access point mode and provides connection to wifi camera and my car. Is there a way to force the webcams to ALWAYS connect to the garage access point vs trying to connect to the AX routers? In a similar question, can I force devices in my house to connect to a specific router via AiMesh? Thanks so much for the help!!!!!

Hi everyone, my first post here on the forums. I think similar questions have been asked but I was unable to find the answer to this. Just a quick overview of my setup, I have 2 RT-AX86U's, one acting as main, one set up in AiMesh mode, hardwired. I also have an older RT-AC66U in the garage connected hardwired as well via ethernet over power. The garage is in access point mode and provides connection to wifi camera and my car. Is there a way to force the webcams to ALWAYS connect to the garage access point vs trying to connect to the AX routers? In a similar question, can I force devices in my house to connect to a specific router via AiMesh? Thanks so much for the help!!!!!
Hello & welcome! Try forcing certain devices to use the specific DNS you wish to use. You can do this using DNSFilter, choose any DNS you want (there are some baked into the firmare from which to choose as well). So:
1) Use DNSFilter on your main router that connects to your cable/fiber service. Turn it on & plug in the DNS servers you want to use.
2) Choose devices to use the DNS - I'd think you could choose the specific router that you use for your cams.
3) Choose the cams from that router using DNSFilter on that router as well and force your cams to use what you choose.

Note that you can use DNSFilter only in your router that the cams connect to if using router mode. Although router mode is technically for one's main wifi router, it is definitely possible to use router mode for every router in your setup. That way you get all the your routers offer and get higher speeds. I have done so myself though with only two different routers of different brands, one of which acted as my cable modem/router (Technicolor) combo as well. So understand what I've written is more an educated guess than a fact.

Attachments

• AA828911-7D22-4C01-9622-746DAA2B145F.jpeg
    AA828911-7D22-4C01-9622-746DAA2B145F.jpeg
    87.8 KB · Views: 872
@intr0 I don't believe the OP's question has anything to do with DNS.

@Yarzy Use a different SSID on the access point and get the cameras and car to "forget" the previous SSID. If you still want other devices to be able to roam using the main router's SSID (when in the garage), then instead create an additional Guest SSID on the access point just for the cameras/car.

Last edited:
@ColinTaylor - you're absolutely correct. I misread the OP, substituting DNS for AP in my mind. Thank-you.

If you don't want to use a different ssid, you can block a device from accessing an AP. I don't use AiMesh, but I do have two Asus router and two outdoor APs. I fine tuned AP allocation by blocking MAC IDs on each AP.

This way devices can still roam from AP to AP except for those I explicitly forbid.

To do so, go to Wireless, Wireless Mac Filters and enable the filter in reject mode (you can do this on a band basis)

Now, for the AIMesh Node, I dont know if you can force a device on a specific node

@Yarzy Another option is using the Roaming Block List feature to forbid specific devices from leaving specific routers. Or as @StephaneM suggested but using a whitelist is more efficient. Whitelist your devices' addresses for the specific network you want them to use which will block any other devices from using said network. (again, I'm unsure of mesh mode, but they're options when using a standard router config). The guest SSID is the most elegant (efficient) solution, IMO.

Thanks everyone for your help! I did actually rename my garage network to a different name on the access point so I can "force" devices on there. That worked great for the car but I was hoping to avoid that with the cameras since I need to physically hit a button the cameras to reset the wifi...since they are mounted already, it will be a pain but I guess it is a once and done type of thing. Thanks again for you help everyone!

In AiMesh 2.0, which is on the latest public beta firmware, you can bind devices to specific nodes
I’ve been waiting for the RT-AX88U firmware to support AiMesh 2.0. I upgraded yesterday along with my RT-AC68U and after much testing reversed out AiMesh this evening. The binding does not work. I set three devices to bind to node and all three continued to connect directly to router, after numerous reboots. I hope they do get it working in the future I have been waiting since AiMesh first released for this feature.

@Trial_Master if you didn't do a full M&M Config after flashing the firmware you wanted to test, you didn't test properly. ;)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!