What's new

How to interconnect wireless routers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Lampooner

New Around Here
I read the article on keeping your G router and hooking it up in conjunction with a new N router. My question is how do you do that? I assume you need a cross-over cable and you must make sure they are not assigning the same IP addresses. Can anyone point me to step by stewp instructions.

Thanks

You basically just turn one of the two wireless routers into an access point. To do this, just disable DHCP on it and give it a different address than the other one.

Interconnecting

Hi Scotty,

Thanks for the quick response. Just to be sure I do need a cross-over cable between the two?

Thanks again

Tim,

A thousand thanks, based on those two articles I think I can probably create and install an access point. :D

Maybe even make use of my WRT310N brick - 2 units have failed on me and I still have one.

I would like to use the same SSID - since I'm just trying to master a lower signal area from the DIR 825 for a resident WII. However, since it works I wouldn't bother to buy an AP - but a "project" is a different matter!

Now I know that as long as I watch for the "sticky issue" I can have the same SSID although maybe as you say a different SSID will have benefits - I did use a different SSID for 2.4 vs 5 GHZ.

Thanks - again.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!