What's new

[How-To] Link Aggregation/LACP on RT-AC68U/W/R/P

• Thread starter Deleted member 28123
  • Start date
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Just wanted to say thanks for the info provided and that I am using LAG / LACP for some time now.
One thing to mention is that I had to disable QOS on the router to make it work properly.
For some reason the LAG traffic is classified as Internet traffic (it also shows in the "Traffic Analyzer" page as such).
If I turn QoS on (I tried all types of QoS and with / without HW acceleration / CTF) then the throughput of the LAG traffic seems to be limited to the speed of the Internet link.
Would be nice to see if there is any solution to this.

I know Merlin said link aggregation is of little value for home users but I beg to differ.
For anybody with a NAS at home, multiple computers and other network devices this is a must have.
I have 3 groups of disks in my NAS and I can have concurrent accesses that easily saturate a 1GB link.

I'm attaching my network diagram in case someone is interested.

Home Network Diagram.jpg

Traffic classification seems to be working fine in 384.6 (LAG traffic included) but same issues with QoS as above.

Stopped using LAG on the router as I found some performance issues.
CPU not fast enough to handle the LAG traffic.

I got close to 1Gb through the router with the CPU maxed out. It is definitively better with just 1 cable between the router and the switch and without LAG.

Between the switch and the NAS I get the full 2Gb with at least 2 clients.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I got close to 1Gb through the router with the CPU maxed out. It is definitively better with just 1 cable between the router and the switch and without LAG.

Between the switch and the NAS I get the full 2Gb with at least 2 clients.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I thought it would be higher? I'm almost getting 1gb/s without it through the router. I average 960mb/s through the router. We need 5gb/s or 10gb/s home equipment. I can't believe its not out yet. The only thing i found was the netgear switch which had all of two ports.

Cannot configure channel aggregation in media bridge mode. Does channel aggregation work in this mode on AC68?

I have a question about link aggregation on AC-RT68U.
Internaly router have 6-port L2-managed gigabit switch and CPU core w PCIe interface w three PCIe network interfaces - two independed wireless and one gigabit ethernet connected to switch port 5(8).
So, just single benefit of LACP in this case is fault tolerance, not a link performance due to internal switch-CPU 1 gbps limitation. I'm right?

And hmm.... Why router has a 1300+, 1900+ and so on class if there no way to transmit wireless data to wire interfaces with common speed above 1 gbps? :)

Physics. :)

The weakest link in the chain is the strongest the chain can ever be. ;)

Question regarding using AIMesh with LACP/LAG on the node.

I currently have RT-AX88U and about to receive a RT-AX89X. I want to use the RT-AX88U as the AIMesh Node and the RT-AX89X as the main. I know that on the RX-AX88U you can bond 2Gb LAG/LACP with WAN/Port 4. Can I still run it this way in AIMesh mode with a LAG/LACP backhaul?

Hi,

I'm having trouble trying to establish link aggregation between my RT AC86U e my switch Netgear GS110TP.
Probably the issue is at step 4: the switch is an L2, capable to be set in LACP (802.3ad) but there si no option to set the hashing mode to "Source/Destination MAC, VLAN, EtherType, source MODID/port".

thanks

Colin, thanks a lot. becoming dyslexic....
Colin, do you have reccomendatio for RT-AC86U? I saw in your signature you have RT-AC86U. Overclocked too.
If you want to suggest reccomendation for overclocking too I would appreciate...

I saw in your signature you have RT-AC86U. Overclocked too.
If you want to suggest reccomendation for overclocking too I would appreciate...
Dyslexia again? :D My signature says my overclocked router is an RT-AC68U. The RT-AC86U can't be overclocked. My other router is an RT-AX86U.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!