What's new

How to make FTP server public

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

yekezei

New Around Here
Hi,

I'm stuck with a shirt butt ISP modem/router and I can't disable the router from my ISP. I wanted to activate the DDNS but it doesn't work since I have a 192.182.x.x WAN address.

I configured the ASUS WAN IP as DMZ on my ISP router. But where do I go from here? What IP and port should I forward and on which router should I be doing the forwarding?

Thanks!

Hi,

I'm stuck with a shirt butt ISP modem/router and I can't disable the router from my ISP. I wanted to activate the DDNS but it doesn't work since I have a 192.182.x.x WAN address.

I configured the ASUS WAN IP as DMZ on my ISP router. But where do I go from here? What IP and port should I forward and on which router should I be doing the forwarding?

Thanks!

The link below describes how to forward port (21 FTP) if you have a double NAT.

http://portforward.com/help/doublerouterportforwarding.htm

I have no trouble forwarding other ports on my asus router. I'm running the build-in FTP server on it and I'm wondering how I can access it publicly. I tried forwarding port 21 on IP 192.168.1.1 (asus router IP) but it doesn't seem to work. Is there anything else I can do?

I have no trouble forwarding other ports on my asus router. I'm running the build-in FTP server on it and I'm wondering how I can access it publicly. I tried forwarding port 21 on IP 192.168.1.1 (asus router IP) but it doesn't seem to work. Is there anything else I can do?

If you're using the builtin FTP server on the asus, then you don't need to forward port 21 on the asus. You have to go to the settings on your ISP router and forward port 21 to the asus.

The link I gave you....explains the concept of internal and external IP addresses.

Someone else will probably fill you in on how to get DDNS working.

in a double NAT environment, where the ASUS acts as a router and sits behind your ISPs router (which also does NAT), simply forward *everything* to the ASUS, bypassing the ISP router for that.

In some routers this is called running the other system (your ASUS) as "exposed host" or in a DMZ.
The forwarding rule for that should looks like this for the ASUS-WAN IP on 192.168.1.1
Code:
ip 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.1

Edit: as said already, place this rule in your ISPs router.

Hi,

I'm stuck with a [expletives deleted- rude!] ISP modem/router and I can't disable the router from my ISP.

Thanks!
You can usually win with getting the Modem/router changed to bridge mode. But it takes several tries plus decorum and respect.

I seem to hear this issue all the time in different forums as well as here. Are ISP's not wanting customers to use there own routers anymore ? All they offer is these garbage gateways with crippled firmware and then bitch if somebody wants to bridge mode it and shut the wifi off and use there own high quality router. I certainly hope in the future these ISP's dont force there crap gateways on us all. :eek:

Last edited:
If you're using the builtin FTP server on the asus, then you don't need to forward port 21 on the asus. You have to go to the settings on your ISP router and forward port 21 to the asus.

The link I gave you....explains the concept of internal and external IP addresses.

Someone else will probably fill you in on how to get DDNS working.

Thank you for your help. I tried that but my ISP blocks all port forwards under 1024. They really don't let me change anything other than WPA2 key and SID and some other stupid useless shirt.

I e-mailed them asking for a modem or to put my ISP router in bridged.