What's new

How to monitor of wireless constantly dropping?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TheGlow

Occasional Visitor
My older Nexus 2013 kept losing connection and I chalked it up to the fact this thing is beat to hell and why not add bad wifi to the list.
However my newer Galaxy S7 phone is also constantly showing disconnects so now I'm starting to wonder.
I upgraded the firmware and it appears to still be doing it.
Is there a diagnostic or a log I can check? My PC and nearly everything else is hardwired so I don't have much to go on.
I get anything from it saying I lost connection, and checking and it says I'm already reconnected. Sometimes disconnected and shows the SSID but just doesnt connect to it. others it doesnt show the SSID at all for 20-40 seconds and then it pops up like nothing is wrong. Also sometimes when I wake my device it's disconnected and is joining when I wake it. I have it set to stay on wifi when off/sleep and it was fine up until a few weeks ago when i noticed the repetitive drops.

If you haven't already, you might want to use one of the many site survey apps (or the one on the router) to see if the router is operating on an optimal channel. Quite often I've seen routers choose non-optimal channels when in "auto" mode.

Try wifi analyzer app on android. (search play store)
It will show you neighborhood overlapping wifis and does your wifi signal drops.

If you haven't already, you might want to use one of the many site survey apps (or the one on the router) to see if the router is operating on an optimal channel. Quite often I've seen routers choose non-optimal channels when in "auto" mode.
Ill have to double check, but last time there were over 40 ssid's picked up in my area. I dont think it's possible to not experience any absurd overlapping.
But that could be it. One of the cats jacked it up and I had to do a factory reset. I tried putting back settings I was aware of like port forwards but didnt recall anything about channels.
Thanks,

See, in a case like this I have no idea how to proceed.
Go with something like Channel 8 or get on 11?
and this is only a few. One of the list views I counted 51 SSIDs and I dont think that includes any hidden ones.
Optimum gives everyone a free router, but it also adds an SSID under 2.4 and 5GHz. Practically no one uses their own, so its heavily congested with all those duplicates.

rdlzuAK.jpg

8th would be the best. But can't you use 5GHz band? Most of this telecom router/modem have only 2,4 band.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
8th would be best. But can't you use 5GHz band? Most of this telecom router/modem have only 2,4 band.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, I prefer 5GHz when available, and that wasnt as saturated. However I have some devices that, god knows why, do not have 5Ghz. like Nintendo 3ds, Nintendo Wii, my kids "new" budget samsung droid phones that are less than a month old.
Meanwhile I'm throwing out mini pci AC wifi cards from bad laptops at work. I wish I could just install that and call it a day.

Please don't use channel 8! The only channels to use are 1,6 and 11 with 2,4GHz! You don't only use the channel you have chosen, you use the neighbor channels too!