What's new

Solved How to question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sleeps1007

Regular Contributor
I'm connected to the internet using an ASUS RT-AC5300 router which is wired to my altice router. I'm wondering if there's a way to have my asus router connected wireless to the altice router so that I can move it to a better location for better coverage?

Nevermind figured it out I would have to set the asus router as a repeater. It's just unfortunate it disables the firewall settings :(

Given your concern for the lack of a firewall, I can only assume you have the WAN of the ASUS connected to a LAN port on the primary router (altice, of which I know nothing about). IOW, your ASUS is daisy-chained (WAN to LAN) to the primary router, creating a double NAT configuration, where your ASUS manages its own IP network, DHCP server, firewall, etc., separate from the altic.

The reason I'm going into detail here is because you *could* extend the reach of the ASUS if it was *bridged* to the primary router over wireless using the repeater. But by definition, a repeater means the primary router manages the IP network, DHCP server, firewall, etc. IOW, that's the whole point of using a repeater; to extend the reach of the primary router!

Even so, one problem I see when looking at the manual for your ASUS is that it seems to rely only on WDS rather than standard wifi protocols. WDS is proprietary and so incompatibility w/ other WDS enabled devices (assuming your primary router even supports WDS) is VERY common. Most of the time, it's only going to work w/ very similar hardware/firmware between the two devices.

What you might want to consider is perhaps getting yourself a wireless ethernet bridge. You configure it like any other wireless device by connecting it to the primary router's AP, and patch the ethernet side to the WAN of your ASUS. In effect, what you'd done is created a *virtual* wired connection from the ASUS to the primary router. But in all other respects, nothing else is changed.

What is an 'altice' router?

Do you want it to manage your network?

If not, your use of Repeater mode isn't a working solution. It is also a solution that is giving you up to half the bandwidth throughput, or less when the Repeater is active.

Repeater mode = wireless AiMesh

The Asus routers cannot do what you are expecting (use wireless WAN).

The best bet is to lay out some Ethernet cable or use Moca to connect your main 'altice' router's LAN port to the WAN port of the Asus.

Given your concern for the lack of a firewall, I can only assume you have the WAN of the ASUS connected to a LAN port on the primary router (altice, of which I know nothing about). IOW, your ASUS is daisy-chained (WAN to LAN) to the primary router, creating a double NAT configuration, where your ASUS manages its own IP network, DHCP server, firewall, etc., separate from the altic.

The reason I'm going into detail here is because you *could* extend the reach of the ASUS if it was *bridged* to the primary router over wireless using the repeater. But by definition, a repeater means the primary router manages the IP network, DHCP server, firewall, etc. IOW, that's the whole point of using a repeater; to extend the reach of the primary router!

Even so, one problem I see when looking at the manual for your ASUS is that it seems to rely only on WDS rather than standard wifi protocols. WDS is proprietary and so incompatibility w/ other WDS enabled devices (assuming your primary router even supports WDS) is VERY common. Most of the time, it's only going to work w/ very similar hardware/firmware between the two devices.

What you might want to consider is perhaps getting yourself a wireless ethernet bridge. You configure it like any other wireless device by connecting it to the primary router's AP, and patch the ethernet side to the WAN of your ASUS. In effect, what you'd done is created a *virtual* wired connection from the ASUS to the primary router. But in all other respects, nothing else is changed.
Thanks. I'll take look into that. Any suggestions for wireless ethernet bride products?

What is an 'altice' router?

Do you want it to manage your network?

If not, your use of Repeater mode isn't a working solution. It is also a solution that is giving you up to half the bandwidth throughput, or less when the Repeater is active.

Repeater mode = wireless AiMesh

The Asus routers cannot do what you are expecting (use wireless WAN).

The best bet is to lay out some Ethernet cable or use Moca to connect your main 'altice' router's LAN port to the WAN port of the Asus.
Altice is managed by Optimum. There altice unfortunately acts as an all-in-one, a modem, router, and cable box

Thanks. I'll take look into that. Any suggestions for wireless ethernet bride products?

A lot of options out there. Take your pick. Did a quick search of Amazon and found the following.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014SK2H6W/?tag=snbforums-20

I have no clue how good it is.

Sometimes an old router can be converted into a wireless ethernet bridge as well.

@L&LD makes a good point about MoCA, or even powerline, as your bridging technology. Don't become fixated on strictly wireless.

A lot of options out there. Take your pick. Did a quick search of Amazon and found the following.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014SK2H6W/?tag=snbforums-20

I have no clue how good it is.

Sometimes an old router can be converted into a wireless ethernet bridge as well.

@L&LD makes a good point about MoCA, or even powerline, as your bridging technology. Don't become fixated on strictly wireless.
Well I just realized I had a powerline lmao all is good now

Status
Not open for further replies.