What's new

how to reset/upgrade outdated entware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ebalsumgo

Regular Contributor
So I believe I am running into a bit of a conundrum. Somewhere along the way entware was installed on my router by hand before things were as nicely packaged as they currently are with the firmware. It is currently pointing to http://qnapware.zyxmon.org/binaries-armv7 which is quite out of date. The problem is, i dont know if i can just point it to the official repo or if things will explode :).

I am currently super remote due to covid so bricking/resetting the router will be impossible, hence my attempt to be cautious.

Do you use one of the latest firmware with AMTM built in? If so you can update all Entware packages over an SSH connection. AMTM (with ep) checks every installed package to see if a new one is available and installs the update.

No AMTM is fine, the problem is that amtm was included in the firmware at some point in the firmware and it sees entware already installed and the script doesn't have a "reset entware" option, or an "upgrade from previous install" soooo basically AMTM is useless as it assuming that:
1. you do not have entware installed
2. you have installed entware through amtm

It doesn't account for "exisitng" installs or "old" install like mine.

When you select option 2 in amtm/ep it doesn't show you any installed packages/apps? If not than you'll have to update all of them manually since they are not installed in the same path.

it tries to but craps out because it wants to install a pkg (columns) that doesn't exist in the super out of date repo i am currently pointing to and afraid to point away from :D. I am hoping that all of this is simply solvable by editing my opkg.conf and pointing it to http://bin.entware.net/armv7sf-k2.6/

Well just tried pointing it to that but it was throwing errors that the pkgs in the repo are not for the right architecture :/

This thread needs to be consolidated with the other where the same issue(s) are being discussed. :)

So I believe I am running into a bit of a conundrum. Somewhere along the way entware was installed on my router by hand before things were as nicely packaged as they currently are with the firmware. It is currently pointing to http://qnapware.zyxmon.org/binaries-armv7 which is quite out of date. The problem is, i dont know if i can just point it to the official repo or if things will explode :).

I am currently super remote due to covid so bricking/resetting the router will be impossible, hence my attempt to be cautious.
That version is ancient. Maybe @zyxmon can help you, but I doubt this is doable.