What's new

how to samba share single folder without password access

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

chu

Occasional Visitor
I have a usb flash drive plug in AC1900P.

the drive have 2 folders:
entware
download

I just want to access the download folder via samba, dont want any one access entware folder

I have a usb flash drive plug in AC1900P.

the drive have 2 folders:
entware
download

I just want to access the download folder via samba, dont want any one access entware folder
It's not possible to do via the WebUI as you cannot create an account without a password.
And you cannot restrict the password-less guest account to only share one folder/device.

And it's not much simpler by modifying the smb.conf via a smb.postconf or smb.conf.add.
Samba is a b*tch to configure without a password and still restrict the access.
Think of other ways to share or figure it out using google's endless results.

Samba is a b*tch to configure without a password and still restrict the access.
Think of other ways to share or figure it out using google's endless results.

It can be done with the smb.conf - I'd hesitate to try and tweak the conf file included with AsusWRT as it can break later on if touched inside the WebGUI..

That being said, adding/modifying "guest ok = yes" for the desired share should work, as Samba can do share level permissions.

I can't recall if testparm is included with AsusWRT, but if it is, can be very helpful to verify any changes in the smb configs...

It can be done with the smb.conf - I'd hesitate to try and tweak the conf file included with AsusWRT as it can break later on if touched inside the WebGUI..

That being said, adding/modifying "guest ok = yes" for the desired share should work, as Samba can do share level permissions.
As I said, it can be done using the mentioned ways to customize the conf file.