What's new

How to Secure IP Cameras w/Stock Linksys Router??

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bugsysiegals

New Around Here
I've been using DD-WRT iptables on my WRT1900ACS v2 router to firewall my security cameras; however, I've recently flashed it back to stock because the throughput was 75/12 down/up while it's 235/12 with stock firmware!! FYI - I believe it's because it uses a Marvel chip and there aren't any good 3rd party drivers available.

I'd considered selling the Linksys, buying a Asus RT-AC86U, and running OpenWRT for firewall and OpenVPN but I'd prefer not to take a loss on my router just to buy something which may not perform at the same speed as the stock Linksys and may have issues of it's own.

All that said, what do I do? Sell the Linksys and buy the Asus, put the Linksys into bridge mode and use some other router at the modem for firewall and OpenVPN, install Pfsense on my NVR PC or some other PC, something else entirely?

Last edited:
I've been using DD-WRT iptables on my WRT1900ACS v2 router to firewall my security cameras; however, I've recently flashed it back to stock because the throughput was 75/12 down/up while it's 235/12 with stock firmware!! FYI - I believe it's because it uses a Marvel chip and there aren't any good 3rd party drivers available.

I'd considered selling the Linksys, buying a Asus RT-AC86U, and running OpenWRT for firewall and OpenVPN but I'd prefer not to take a loss on my router just to buy something which may not perform at the same speed as the stock Linksys and may have issues of it's own.

All that said, what do I do? Sell the Linksys and buy the Asus, put the Linksys into bridge mode and use some other router at the modem for firewall and OpenVPN, install Pfsense on my NVR PC or some other PC, something else entirely?

FYI - my NVR PC has i7-4770k processor and 16 GB RAM running Windows 10 and Blue Iris software. I’m not certain how much power it consumes but runs 24/7 thus figured perhaps it can also run Pfsense ... not sure it would run well within a Win10 VM or if it’s even a good idea to put it on the same PC recording my cameras ...

The Linky WRT's - always a puzzle, as it's kind of a stepchild born of a broken marriage... (long story, but the WRT's were caught in between the Cisco/Belkin deal, and too far along to cancel, and then corp pride after that...)

As an AP - the the big WRT's are actually pretty good with factory firmware regarding WiFi, as bridge mode minimizes the impact of LinksysSmartWifi...

Thanks, with DD-WRT I was lucky if I could reach 100Mbps and with stock I reach 230mbps easily.

I’ve actually put pfSense on a desktop connecting one port to the cable modem and the other to my switch with LAN devices, including the WRT as AP ... I have to say it’s working quite well now!!!

That said, I doubt I’ll buy another Linksys but to be honest I’ll probably never buy a router again. I’m considering selling the router while it’s worth something and replacing it with an actual AP ... perhaps a Ubiquiti Pro??

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!