What's new

How to set up new RT-AC86U for reliability and security?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

brec

Regular Contributor
Background: I'm replacing a re-branded ASUS RT-AC68U. It's been perfectly reliable for years, and has pretty good coverage in my 2100 sq' 2-story house, but I do use a TP-Link range extender near my smart TV. The firmware in the re-branded router is not being updated, and I've seen recent reports of security flaws being discovered in various routers.

So I want a replacement that has firmware updates available. And I thought I'd up the coverage a step and go for an AC2600. But since the ASUS hardware has been so reliable, I started looking at ASUS. Their closest to a 2600 seems to be the RT-AC86U AC2900. Seems fine except there are quite a few complaints on Amazon about reliability. 20% of the 1,500 reviews are 1-star. Of those, many are about 2.4G radios going out. Thoughts?

EDIT: I'm hijacking my own thread to reflect my decision to buy an 86U.

Last edited:
After much hand-wringing, I ordered an 86U.

Next: setting it up to minimize any reliability -- and security -- issues. This thread from last year, Best setup for the Asus RT-AC68U (ACTUALIZED to 2019), I'm thinking is probably applicable to the 86U as well. However, any additions or comments are welcome!

I am very happy with my RT-AC86U. I purchased it new off Amazon back in January and it is awesome.

Well it might! No AiMesh here, though -- just a TP-Link extender near my smart TV.

Ignore the AiMesh bits.

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!