What's new

How To Set Up Switch Link Aggregation

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I own several Intel pro/1000 GT PCI NICS. My idea was to team them together to get 2 x 1Gb/s trunks. I found out, this will not work using the Intel drivers. Intel's Advanved Network Service (ANS) that supports 802.3ad LACP, will only work when a Intel server NIC is installed. When this is the case, a desktop NIC might be able team with it.

So, I have to install one pro/1000 server and pro/1000 GT NIC and team them you would think.

Unfortunatly, Intel is no longer supporting there PCI-X server NIC's for Windows 7.
They are supported by Windows 7 "in the box" drivers who do not have ANS. The only way to get the ANS to work with Windows 7, seems to be by buying Intel PCI-e server NIC's. They will not fit in "older" mainboards however, so you must calculate a new mainboard, cpu and memory to the new NIC aswell. Link Aggregation better be good, because it sure is costing a lot, to get it working.

http://www.intel.com/support/network/sb/CS-030613.htm

I have just bought the HP V1810-24G Switch + the INTEL NETCARD FOR WORKSTATION: Intel PRO/1000 PT Dual Port Server Adapter would this not be working?

Clarification on the terminology.

Hi,

I went through the "brief presentation":
http://ieee802.org/3/hssg/public/apr07/frazier_01_0407.pdf

It talks about a "conversation" whereby a single conversation will only use a single link (not utilize both).

Is a "conversation" something like a file/directory copy task?

The scenario that I'm trying to see whether is valid is:
Next week I will be getting a Synology 412+ that supports Link Aggregation. In my PC I'm also intending to stripe 4 x 500mb drives soon after.

I do a lot of large file copies from my PC to NAS, so I'm trying to determine if I could take advantage of Link Aggregation if I added 2 x 1gb NICs to my PC and teamed them, plus obtained a suitable switch that supported it.

I suspect that the file copy will only use a single NIC path, is that correct? And that only if I have two separate copies running simultaneously would it fully utilize the Link Agg?

Cheers,
Dave.

Last edited:
Same exact question

I have the same exact scenario with the 412+ and a single pc. If The pc asks for 4 files at the same time (say 4 20mb raw photo files). Is that 4 "conversations" which would then utilize the benefits of link aggregation?

Or if I was doing a back up of the nas to an external drive and also running Lightroom transferring files to my pc is this two " conversations"

The 412+ performance tab at synology site indicates the 186-200 Mbps speeds were achieved with one 10gb file between nas and one computer. I confirmed this with support as well. This seems to fly in the face of the "one conversation, one LAN used explanation"

This depends on what kind of load-balancing the Synology supports and the configuration.
In most situations at home you will not have any benefit when using link aggregation because the load balancing scheme chooses the same interface for connections between the same source and destination.
You might overcome this problem by configuring a second IP address on your synology and use this second address to copy a second file.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!