What's new

How to setup RDP thru OpenVPN on AC86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JAF

Occasional Visitor
I trying to setup a way to connect to my two kid's laptops while they are away at college via RDP. They both have OpenVPN clients running on their laptops that can connect to my 86U running an OpenVPN server here at home. They do this if they have to get on an unknown WiFi network. If they need me to help them with their computers, I would like them to temporarily turn on RDP so I can access. While trying it out I can't get it to connect. The home network is using 192.168.x.x and all the VPN clients are getting a 10.8.x.x address when they connect. I'm guessing they all need to be using the address range for this to work. Under the VPN server tab I have "Client will use VPN to access" set to both.

What am I missing?

Have you confirmed that they have the RDS server included in their version of Windows? IIRC the "Home" versions don't have it.

Well I've just tried it here and it worked without any problem. I just connected to 10.8.0.2 and entered my login name and password. Admittedly it's not a perfect test as my Windows 10 PC is a VM.

Team Viewer is free for private use and super easy ..... It what I have always used to support my family and extended family's computers (i really wish there were more egg heads in the family though ..... this tech support gets old after a while :))

https://www.teamviewer.com/en/

Finally got it to work last night. Once I used the IP address of the computer I was trying to connect to it went though. I had been using the computer name like Win10 told me to use. Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going look into some of these other apps (Anydesk, Team Viewer, Join Me) in the mean time. They may be a better option.

Bahahaha - Don't I know it!! It is hard to say "NO" to your mother!!

If they ask for help, advise them, if you can. Otherwise, let them go.

OE