What's new

How to stop VPN with killswitch in a controlled way?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

WGurra

New Around Here
Using a RT-AC68U merlin 384.9 to set up my first vpn.

To stop it I set vpn service state to off. This seems to make the killswitch logic kick in ('Tunnel down - VPN client access blocked' msg) and all my clients are cut off from wan.

This may be great when the tunnel is brought down in an unforeseen situation - but here it is only me using the only way I know to stop it intentionally..

Question 1: is setting service state to off considered an abnormal termination of the tunnel?

Question 2: is there a controlled way for me to stop the tunnel without the killswitch logic kicking in to cut off all my clients from the wan?

What I do is adding a rule to route my client to WAN when I need it. It's easier and faster.

What I do is adding a rule to route my client to WAN when I need it. It's easier and faster.
Ditch, interesting!
How do you do this - by going into the running vpn's policies and add a route for your own client? I just tested it: left the vpn in service state active and changed the 'all clients' rule to use wan -- this works fine (I guess it leaves the vpn active but empty). Thanks for the update.