What's new

How to use Asus USB Network Share for Axis camera network storage

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SomeGuy

Occasional Visitor
I'm clearly on drugs -- but they're good ones -- because I'm sure this is as simple as it gets and I still can't figure it out.

I setup a Samba share on my Asus router:

1682266196194.png

Works fine in Windows 11, but I can't figure out how to translate the network share information for the Asus USB share into the form the Asus camera is looking for:

1682265893100.png

I've got the User, Password, SMB version down, but I've tried every combo I can think of for the address and network share names without success.

Any hints?

I'm clearly on drugs -- but they're good ones -- because I'm sure this is as simple as it gets and I still can't figure it out.

I setup a Samba share on my Asus router:

View attachment 49575

Works fine in Windows 11, but I can't figure out how to translate the network share information for the Asus USB share into the form the Asus camera is looking for:

View attachment 49574

I've got the User, Password, SMB version down, but I've tried every combo I can think of for the address and network share names without success.

Any hints?
You do not want to use the slow storage on your router to store cam images or video. Better to invest in a NAS or build a NVR from an old PC, install Linux and Zoneminder.

Fair, thanks.

The video is recorded on SD cards in the cameras. I was just goofing around to see if I could get the Axis to trigger a video upload onto a spare USB drive, just in case someone decided to abscond with the camera, but I hear you guys.

I'll think about a more thoughtful solution if it's really a concern (which it isn't).

Set "Simpler share naming" to "Yes". Then the share name is "Axis". If you leave that option as "No" the share name will be "Axis (at USB_STICK)".

The host name is "RT-AC86U".

I think for stock Asus firmware, the bunlded Samba there only support SMBv1 - @RMerlin did backport a more recent version in his forks that supports SMBv2, 3.6.26 perhaps was the version there?

I think for stock Asus firmware, the bunlded Samba there only support SMBv1 - @RMerlin did backport a more recent version in his forks that supports SMBv2, 3.6.26 perhaps was the version there?
His router screenshot in post #1 shows him using SMBv2 on Merlin's firmware.

His router screenshot in post #1 shows him using SMBv2 on Merlin's firmware.

missed that - so next steps would be to start looking at logs...

1) credentials
2) paths
3) permissions to that path

something isn't right if that share can't be mounted...