What's new

How to use iTunes Server?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RocketJSquirrel

How do you use the iTunes Server on the RT-N66U? What is its intended use?

My main hifi system is networked and can see the mini DLNA server on the router, but it's clunky to use. I have also tried the iTunes Server, but can't figure out how to communicate with it from any other device.

I have no Apple computers, only iOS devices. My computers are all Windows 7 machines.

Thanks for any guidance.

If it's a true iTunes server, any iOS device should be able to detect it and play the content.

Most probably the "iTunes Server" is running an open-source package called "Firefly Media Server" and while it does support DAAP (iTunes shared libraries) it doesn't support Home Sharing for the iOS devices or the pairing protocol used by the classic ATV. iOS requires either a synched or streamed sever to respond with a 4 digit code upon initial link-up. The mt-daap/FireFly media server does not have the capability to respond with a 4 digit code response. Besides, iTunes 10 broke the ability of most mt-daap/FireFly servers to share thru iTunes.

If it's a true iTunes server, any iOS device should be able to detect it and play the content.

Thanks. Doesn't sound terribly useful. My iOS devices have my tunes on them already.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!