What's new

how to work a wol?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

blake444

Occasional Visitor
Good morning,
I would have a problem with the wake on lan to turn on my nas.

I would like to launch the command from the router web page or from the android app, I have tried many times but I do not understand the reason but the signal does not arrive (I guess).

After several searches I know that my NAS is listening on port 2304, I tried to send it from the PC and it works.

There is a switch between the router and the nas.

That you know it acts like broadcast messages stop at the router?
At what level of the iso / dare stack does this magic pocket work?
Thanks for the availability

thanks but it doesn't help because I have to use another network port (without considering that I don't want to use third-party apps but the software my asus router is equipped with)

Good morning,
I would have a problem with the wake on lan to turn on my nas.

I would like to launch the command from the router web page or from the android app, I have tried many times but I do not understand the reason but the signal does not arrive (I guess).

After several searches I know that my NAS is listening on port 2304, I tried to send it from the PC and it works.

There is a switch between the router and the nas.

That you know it acts like broadcast messages stop at the router?
At what level of the iso / dare stack does this magic pocket work?
Thanks for the availability
I think the router web page uses the on-board ether-wake program, and I don't think that supports specifying other ports.

You might instead install entware and install the etherwake package (no hyphen), which I think does allow specifying a port. You could then do it from a terminal. If your intent is to trigger the NAS from outside the LAN, you could put it in the ovpn-connect script, make an OpenVPN connection, and it will wake up the NAS.

The very idea of waking/sleeping my NAS's gives me the creepie-crawlies, so I've approached it differently. My bios is set to boot on power on, so I have it on a wifi switch, shut it down completely, and use the wifi switch to restart it when I want it on.

A NAS should be left on and doing NAS stuff (like RAID scrubbing, virus scanning, smart disk checks, etc.), in addition to serving/saving and backing up files as needed.

Turning a NAS off defeats the purpose of having one. And puts stress on the hardware that it doesn't need either.

Turning a NAS off defeats the purpose of having one.
Normally I would agree. I have a backup NAS (backup 3 in a 1-2-3) in a physically secure and geographically separate location that I replicate to daily but it could be as easily monthly. It's on a very slow download connection, so the replication can take a couple hours a month. I've sweated it down to $6/month in electricity, sure, but I am thinking about being greener than that by doing it manually: firing it up once a month, replicating, shutting it down when done. But I would not do that in a sleep/WOL fashion.

@elorimer agreed. A backup NAS isn't the use I was thinking about when I replied above. :)

ok thanks for your answers, I have no way to keep the nas turned on h24 since I placed it in my room, at night (sleeping) the LEDs and the noise bother me enough.

Having said that, you know, is it possible to change the command used by the web page with another one that allows me to insert a port? I would also like to edit the page itself.

How to isolate a NAS, old school:
  • Place a footstool on the floor.
  • On the footstool, place either a single sheet of thick rubber (1/2" or larger) or 4x smaller pieces where the feet of the NAS will be.
  • Place the NAS on the rubber sheet/feet.
  • On all sides, put throw pillows around the NAS. And one under it too.
    • You do not want these pillows to be 'airtight'.
    • You want to leave extra room for the fan exhaust in the back.
  • Put a bigger pillow on top of the other pillows all around the NAS.
It may not be 100% silent, but it will be effectively, so. :)

Having said that, you know, is it possible to change the command used by the web page with another one that allows me to insert a port? I would also like to edit the page itself.
The misleading answer is that it can be done, I suspect, but by only by one or two of the neurosurgeons in the Addons section. You might see if you can do it with a command line first. I have a Dell machine that will not WOL under any circumstance.

I tried from the command line obviously it does not go with ether-wake but through entware I found a more comfortable command
wakeonlan package also works fine ...
I also tried the etherwake package (not ether-wake) which I haven't tried yet.

then I reopen the thread in the addon section? or is it possible to move this conversation?