What's new

HP officejet Scan to computer stops working after a day up time with versions 380.65 and newer

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Airwolf

New Around Here
I have noticed that with versions 380.65.2 and 380.65.4 after about a day to 2 days of up time on the router the scan to computer feature stops working. To fix I have to reboot the router. I have not tested this on version 380.65.

I saw this on the change log for 380.66 beta, and I'm wondering if this has to do with the same issue I am seeing.

380.66 beta (xx-xxx-2017)
- NEW: Merged with GPL 380_7266.
Notable changes:
* Port forwards can select a specific source IP
Known issues:
* Some wifi clients such as wireless printers
have connectivity issues. Try disabling
Airtime Fairness as a potential workaround.

I was having the same issue as well with my Officejet, tried version 380.66 beta with the airtime fairness disabled. That seemed to do the trick for awhile. Then I updated to the latest version (380.67 with airtime fairness disabled) and it seems the Officejet doesn't print anymore again (it seems to be having the same issues it was having pre-380.66 beta) unless I restart the wireless feature on it.

I have noticed that with versions 380.65.2 and 380.65.4 after about a day to 2 days of up time on the router the scan to computer feature stops working. To fix I have to reboot the router. I have not tested this on version 380.65.

Had similar issues with OfficeJet multi-function with another vendor's router/AP - setting a static IP outside of the DHCP scope of the router was a huge improvement in reliability of that device...

This won't be all that helpful, but I've settled on Brother multifunction devices. I have three MFC printers, connected wireless to an N66, an AC56, and AC87 and not had this issue on any Merlin version. Printing, scanning to PC, scanning to email all work fine. Along the way I've donated HP and Canon devices for lack of support. The HP was a particular pain in the caboose.

This won't be all that helpful, but I've settled on Brother multifunction devices. I have three MFC printers, connected wireless to an N66, an AC56, and AC87 and not had this issue on any Merlin version. Printing, scanning to PC, scanning to email all work fine. Along the way I've donated HP and Canon devices for lack of support. The HP was a particular pain in the caboose.
Yeah, my next printer will be a brother.

This HP 7520 I have, I have been ready to throw it out the window a few times. Already did my homework and decided on a brother as soon as my cartridges are out.

Had similar issues with OfficeJet multi-function with another vendor's router/AP - setting a static IP outside of the DHCP scope of the router was a huge improvement in reliability of that device...

How do I go about setting an IP address for my printer outside of the DHCP scope to see if that will improve it's constant connection reliability? Thanks!

On the LAN|DHCP Server page, in the Basic Configs, note the LAN pool starting address and the ending address. Usually it will be xxx.xxx.xxx.2 and xxx.xxx.xxx.254. That is your DHCP scope. Change it if necessary so there are numbers outside the scope, like changing it to .10. When the router hands out IP addresses, it won't hand out 2-9.

Then, using whatever method the printer has for configuring its network settings, hard code its address to xxx.xxx.xxx.somethingthat wontbehandedout, like xxx.xxx.xxx.3. Make sure there isn't anything else hardcoded with that address on the network, perhaps by looking at the Network Map or list of devices.

It may be sufficient to reserve an IP address within the DHCP scope for the printer

It may be sufficient to reserve an IP address within the DHCP scope for the printer

With some of the HP's - the challenge is the DHCP client itself...

FWIW - I keep a range of IP's for DHCP - for example - in the 192.168.1.0/24 range - the DHCP scope is 192.168.1.100 thru 192.168.1.150

This then allows, per the example above, to use static addresses outside of that range, but still inside the 192.168.1.0/24 block...

For my specific example - I set the HP to 192.168.1.254 as a static IP inside the HP WebUI, with the 255.255.255.0 netmask, and the GW address being 192.168.1.1

Once the device was restarted, was solid for Mac, Windows, AirPrint on IOS, and Google Cloud Print, along with CUPS on Linux using the IPP driver...

I've been really happy with Brother - the UI is a flashback to the 90's, but it generally works well with Mac and Windows - and the Airprint and Google Cloud Print support are quite good... the downside for me was Linux support with the device I have - it's low end for the house, and it's not a deal-breaker in any event.

What sold me on Brother was the cost of the consumables - e.g. in my case - INK - dollar for dollar, they're about 1/2 the price of the typical HP, Epson, and Canon inkjets...

I always suspected, and this is my opinion only, is that HP expired carts based on Time, not number of pages, at least on the consumer oriented devices - output was always nice, and HP's scan utility is first rate - but it sure ate carts like no tomorrow...

Mine are all laser MFCs, and the OEM 5,000 page cartridges are around $90. I get knockoffs at around $15 through Newegg. I use about 3 or 4 a year. The most recent MFC I picked up was an 8710DW for $140 on clearance. The only downside is every time I print the lights flicker as it comes out of sleep. Assuming you control the consumables, it isn't worth it to stick with a printer that is giving you grief.

I always suspected, and this is my opinion only, is that HP expired carts based on Time, not number of pages, at least on the consumer oriented devices - output was always nice, and HP's scan utility is first rate - but it sure ate carts like no tomorrow...

HP actually uses both: a page counter, and an expiration date. When the problem is the expiration date, the printer will usually clearly report it (that was the case with the multi function I had at my office when I tried to insert an old cartridge that had been collecting dust in a drawer).

Greatly appreciate the help sfx2000! I hope this works for me in terms of my printer reliably staying connected longer without the need to restart it, etc to print stuff off.

HP actually uses both: a page counter, and an expiration date. When the problem is the expiration date, the printer will usually clearly report it (that was the case with the multi function I had at my office when I tried to insert an old cartridge that had been collecting dust in a drawer).

that's eventually the reason why I moved away from HP - the quality was there - it was a good device, but I don't print that often - and we're like jeez, we just spent $70USD on ink carts, and 6 months later... and this is like maybe a 100 pages or so...

That - a security firmware update from HP nuked all the installed carts - that was an interesting support call, as they were less than a week old installed in the printer - being very nice, and very patient, I did finally get pushed up to a level 3 tech which acknowledged the bug and sent me a coupon of a full set of carts on the house...

DRM is interesting...