What's new

HTPC Hardware Checklist (low power and mythTV)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rallystile

New Around Here
I hope to receive some advice on the best components to build a low-power HTPC that's not too expensive.

This post is about a year old, but got me started in the right direction.

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-MA78GPM-DS2H Micro ATX (on Newegg)

CPU: looking for a low-power solution to will fit into the mobo

RAM: Corsair 2GB DDR2

Case: Antec

PSU: 300W

Storage: 2 x 3.5 SATA HDD

DVD Burner: Lite-on SATA

TV Card: Something from Hauppage or AVer Media

Boot Drive: 4GB CF (need adapter)

I hope to run MythTV off either Ubuntu or Ubuntu Server and boot the OS right off the Compact Flash to keep the noise/power down.

One question though, if I go use the CF as a boot drive, will it limit any remote access functionality? A 30x CF boot drive is capable of quick reads - but will writes hurt it at all?

Originally I was going to get the MSI Wind PC which is low-power, small form factor, has CF and received a lot of positive reviews as a low-cost NAS.

But I need a TV Tuner Card and after checking at the store there's no room to add one in - so using the MSI Wind PC as an HTPC might be asking too much. I still think it's perfect as a low-cost NAS though.

All of this info is gathered from different blogs and forums; I'm not well-versed in Linux or DIY PC stuff. But hoping I can manage to figure out the best way to roll a solid HTPC anyway. :)

If you have any advice or corrections I'm keen to hear your thoughts on the system specs and configuration.

I read that you shouldn't use Compact Flash as a boot drive. Something about CF having a finite number of reads and writes in it's life. It's like 15,000 over the life of the card, but that can get used up fairly quickly if your OS is paging to the card, etc. Not sure if you have room but you may consider a small & cheap 20GB drive as your boot drive.

Just something to look out for.

Don't know about remote access and CF cards.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!