What's new

Switch back to Pfsense from Opnsense and why.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thanks for the helpful post. Two questions, as I am thinking of investing in a router for one of the two:

So, to be clear – are you saying that for a new pfSense user, there is more/better help available than for a new OPNSense user?

Do you have to take the updates, or can you wait and see how other users' experience is before taking the plunge?
I can only speak for myself but i found pfsense extremely easy to set up. The built-in wizards work really well and as @Maverick009 already pointed out, there is a strong community and lots of tutorials in case you need any help. Much easier than for example a Mikrotik or Ubiquity Edgerouter.

I never do updates straight away, i always give it some time and then scan the forums to assess whether there are any major issues with the update. What i do update regularly are the packages such as pfBlockerNG.

Thanks for the helpful post. Two questions, as I am thinking of investing in a router for one of the two:

So, to be clear – are you saying that for a new pfSense user, there is more/better help available than for a new OPNSense user?

Do you have to take the updates, or can you wait and see how other users' experience is before taking the plunge?
You will find the Opnsense community possibly more open and willing to assist a little easier, but Pfsense has better documentation and some forum members will assist, if it makes sense. There are a few features also in Pfsense such as the QOS/Shaper Wizard to make setting up QOS easy on the network. I have not used the latest Pfsense 2.5.2 update, but did use the 2.4.X updates and some of the add-ons etc. did not get updated until a new build came out, vs. Opnsense that could update them whenever there was a new update. The hassle comes with the limited instructions/guidance (You may find yourself using Pfsense docs, to get an idea of some settings/features), and Opnsense is going through changes with latest updates preparing to move away from HardenBSD to FreeBSD 13. Once you have either Opnsense or Pfsense setup the way you want, than mostly it is left along and is a forgotten piece that keeps your network running and secure.