What's new

HW for a mesh of three

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Do it properly with PoE access points and VLAN network separation. If you rely on AiMesh guest networks - read multiple threads on SNB how buggy and inconsistent it is for many users. Asus is trying to fix it for many months. AiMesh is a marketing name of afterthought solution with main goal to sell more Asus routers. It's no much different than wired access points or wireless repeaters and has design limitations. It uses the same channels (all nodes share the bandwidth) and you have no nodes power control (needed for better roaming tuning). Get the routers and test, but make sure you have the option to send them back. This is mostly Asus users forum and Asus is all you get. Don't limit your options to home routers only. Search and you'll find better.
Thx, but going into pro hw is not in my plans at the moment. I am gonna keep my OpenWrt border router for sure for now (it can run CAKE bi-directional at my line speed and still have spare CPU left) and have just ordered one RT-AX86U to test (double NAT is ok for me). Thank you for the warning about the AiMesh, which is unfortunate. I have tried 3/2 x eero 6 mesh (crap) and 3/2 x google wifi (2020) mesh (better, but still not good enough). I guess the "mesh" thing is not quite ready yet and works for some, but not for all. If one single wifi router gives me awesome coverage in a few key (work/study) areas and decent coverage in the rest, I will be happy. More than one guest network is definitely a great thing for me.
I have researched already and decided to try an Asus router (used to run rt-n66u a while back with Merlin's firmware, but at some point it looked like he would abandon the project).

I guess the "mesh" thing is not quite ready yet and works for some, but not for all.

"Mesh" thing is correct. Not much of a mesh.

have just ordered one RT-AX86U to test

If one can cover your place, this is the best option. If not and you want AiMesh, go with identical routers wired. You have better chances with the same hardware routers running the same firmware. This was the most stable AiMesh in my own tests. Still, not as flexible as SMB equipment.

If one can cover your place, this is the best option. If not and you want AiMesh, go with identical routers wired. You have better chances with the same hardware routers running the same firmware. This was the most stable AiMesh in my own tests. Still, not as flexible as SMB equipment.
That is the current plan now: see if one RT-AX86U solves the problem (and if I keep it, I will have to find a PoE injector to make sure it is running off of my main UPS). If this does not work, then the next step is SMB gear.

You can't run the RT-AX86U off a PoE injector. It needs AC power to its dedicated power input, afaik.

There isn't one thing that works for everyone, everywhere. Take the advice given on that aspect with a huge grain of salt (particularly as that user isn't even using new Asus gear - they try to salvage garbage/dumped products by attempting to fix a single unit from up to 10 'donor' models.

Asus offers many options and features. The more you use, the more likely you'll run into issues. But AiMesh is just as stable (if not more so) than other vendors' offerings.

Concentrate on what works for you today. All other opinions are so much wasted breath.

If considering SMB gear, @Trip and @coxhaus are the people in the know.

That same user is not only attempting, but fixing failed Asus "gear". ;)

Donor boards come by often because most Asus "gear" is made disposable. Solder type used that cracks under thermal stress is a nice "feature" forcing users to upgrade. By the way, AX88U 2.4GHz radio started working again after IC re-flow - exactly the same issue many AC86U routers have. Unfortunately, it's going to fail again if the IC is not re-balled. A grain of salt is better than 10 spoons of sugar.

You can't run the RT-AX86U off a PoE injector. It needs AC power to its dedicated power input, afaik.
Well, not directly, but I thought I could install splitters in both ends and still use the power brick, but this is something to look into later on. If RT-AX86U is as good as you described, then one should just work. Will know soon enough.

but I thought I could install splitters in both ends and still use the power brick

It is possible, but not needed. The standard power brick may not work, depending on cable length. You may need adjustable power supply to compensate for voltage drop. Injector on one side, splitter on the other, DIY power supply cable with router compatible jack, few more RJ45's on the way... extra gadgets and more points of failure. For the same cost you can just buy a small 450VA UPS and plug the router there. Many under $100 are available. The power supply will heat up a bit more with square wave UPS, but it works good enough.

I had a few 100Mbps setups with passive PoE in the past, much easier with unused pairs. With Gigabit is more expensive and tricky.

I have an AC88U as main router and AC86U as mesh node conected by cable to main router.
Not an Asus customer, but considering it, if I can get mesh and rtmerlin.

If I was to buy these two routers and use one as "satellite", what manages the mesh? I thought rtmerlin doesn't provide it. Is it in the Asus firmware portion or are you just suggesting that I setup both with the same wifi SSID?

Thanks in advance for help and patience

It is possible, but not needed. The standard power brick may not work, depending on cable length. You may need adjustable power supply to compensate for voltage drop. Injector on one side, splitter on the other, DIY power supply cable with router compatible jack, few more RJ45's on the way... extra gadgets and more points of failure. For the same cost you can just buy a small 450VA UPS and plug the router there. Many under $100 are available. The power supply will heat up a bit more with square wave UPS, but it works good enough.
I'm running an AX58 that's not near an outlet on POE. I'm using a TP-Link TL-PoE160S injector ($25) and a cheap Revotech PS5712TG 12v 2A splitter ($14). I also had to get an adapter to get from the 2.1mm of the spliter to the (I forgot the size) of the router. Being able to run on 12V 2A let me do it that cheap. It works fine at the end of 100ft of cheap cable in a temporary setup.

The AX58 can run on 12v or 19.2v. The 12v splitter was much cheaper than a 19.2v. Running AIMesh with an AX88 router, no more dead spots.