What's new

I am an inexperienced user of VPNs, can the RT-ac86u/Merlin allow games to bypass Router based VPN?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

GDavid

New Around Here
Hi all, a few posts here and some reading over a while but I still have not setup a VPN. :(

1. Is it possible to configure an RT-AC86U with Merlin to allow traffic to Steam and other game servers without passing through the VPN?

2. Is the above process relatively easy to achieve?

3. Is this known as routing?
I am entirely new to VPN use and would dearly love a little help and guidance if a few of you could spare a few minutes.

With thanks and regards,
Dave

As long as you can identify the specific servers by their public IP addresses, then yes, you can force those servers to bypass the VPN using the VPN Director. But that's the easy part. The hard part is usually identifying those servers. Sometimes services use LOTS of servers!

As long as you can identify the specific servers by their public IP addresses, then yes, you can force those servers to bypass the VPN using the VPN Director. But that's the easy part. The hard part is usually identifying those servers. Sometimes services use LOTS of servers!
Thanks very much for your quick reply.

I wonder how this will work with the likes of Steam (for instance)? From memory (I haven't played with Steam for years tbh), but do recall specific games using multiple servers as you stated...

Thanks very much for your quick reply.

I wonder how this will work with the likes of Steam (for instance)? From memory (I haven't played with Steam for years tbh), but do recall specific games using multiple servers as you stated...

It's usually just easier to have the entire client bypass the VPN, rather than try to route specific public IPs away from the VPN.

It's usually just easier to have the entire client bypass the VPN, rather than try to route specific public IPs away from the VPN.
Wondering if this an easy and quick process to reverse?
IE Client (Kids) decides to play a game and toggles VPN access from their PC?

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!