What's new

I bought a Cisco SG350x-24 L3 Switch

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

coxhaus

Part of the Furniture
I ordered it off ebay. We will see if it really is a good Cisco SG350X-24-K9-NA switch. The last one I ordered was not a real Cisco North American switch so I sent it back.

Is the SG350X going to have a 2.5 gig ports for the WAP581 wireless APs that I have? I think I figured out no.

Last edited:
If it's just regular SG350X-24 then no; access ports are only 1Gb, and no PoE.

For PoE, multi-gig and 24+ ports, you'd need the SG350X-24PD for four 2.5Gb ports, or the -24PV for eight 5Gb ports.

The SG350X data sheet ordering info has all the port and PoE specs for comparison.

Last edited:
The SG350X-24 is a real North American Cisco switch. I will be setting it up soon. It seems like a real nice switch. The problem is it has a fan which is probably too loud for me. I knew the POE version of the switch has fans but I did not realize SG350X-24 would have a fan. I need a replacement for my SG300-28 switch which has no fan.

2.5 gig ports for my 2 wireless Cisco WAP581 APs would be fun but not necessary. It does need to be a L3 switch.

I am not using all the ports since I turned off my server rack so maybe a smaller switch with less ports.

Last edited:
I know you're probably not keen on this cox, but depending on if the fan is a 3 or 4-pin (with tachometer), you might be able to replace it(them) with a much quieter 40mm model from Noctua or similar, and cut the dB noise significantly, and hopefully not set off any fan alarms/alerts in the firmware while doing do.

I know it's been done on various 24 and 48-port SG300's with great success, so hopefully that means it would be doable on the SG350X's too. Obviously, it would void the warranty, but for the sake of your ears, something perhaps worth considering if you're set on keeping the switch.

TL;DR - As a monstrous pet peeve, aside from coming out with more fanless models for higher density (thank you Cisco for the 2960L and Ubiquiti for the USW Gen2), why can't these switch makers just spend the extra $2 on better fans and/or an hour or two's more engineering time to shave off 5 to 10dB of noise on these things? I mean really. So frustrating...

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!