What's new

I don't get smart connect, so I guess I'm dumb...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mastiff

Occasional Visitor
I'm trying to get my pc's and phones to mainly go to 5 gHz but fall back to 2.4 when the signal is too weak in my AI Mesh system. But no matter what I put in RSSI in the advanced setup, they only connect to the 2.4 gHz, even if they are one room away. I have tried to cut on -50, -80 and -90 dB, but nothing happens. I have tried to alternate lower than and higher than on the bandwiths, but I don't unddrstand why nothing's happening. I am not using load balancing or anything else, only using the RSSI. Can somebody tell me what I'm doing wrong, and how I should set it to be aggressive to run 5 gHz as much as possible?

The default settings are setup so that it will only go to 2.4Ghz if the device is far away. If that device comes closer it will then switch back the 5ghz. It should work perfectly out of the box.

When I initially setup my network I found most of the devices would sit on 2.4ghz. After a few days, it sorted itself out.

Last edited:
@Tech9, that's the one I didn't really get anything understantable out of...

@leerees, I have had the system running for a couple of of weeks and nothing connects to any of the AIMesh nodes with anything but 2.4 gHz. And some of the devices are literally half a meter from one of the nodes!

I have had the system running for a couple of of weeks and nothing connects to any of the AIMesh nodes with anything but 2.4 gHz. And some of the devices are literally half a meter from one of the nodes!

You probably have a strong enough signal at that location that the device doesn't NEED the extra hop through the node to make/get/keep the connection.
I put nodes in dead spots to serve access from that deadspot where clients drop out on their own. This seems to aid the client device getting "handed over" to the remote node.

The client device will do what it wants to do regardless of what you are trying to steer it towards.

It's a theory, but it's not correct. I can see it on my phone and laptop. They have full bars whereever I am. And when I move them from the home office to the living room, they loose connection for a second and are then back again with full bars when I'm closest to that node.