What's new

I have several modems and routers and trying to decide what is the best setup?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

NesTx88

Regular Contributor
Won a lot from a event and when I picked it up, there were routers and modems galore (and alot of cat 5 cabling). I'm trying to see what would work best in my situation:

My home is a 1 story, about 2000 sqft, and currently I'm getting about 300-400mbps on xfinity, but I want to futureproof my home for a while.

Currently I'm using the cm600 + 3 netgear orbi tripack Ac3000 (not ax wifi 6, one of the first models that came with 2 satellites and 1 router).

This is what I have:

Modems:
  • Netgear CM600
  • Netgear CM1000
  • Arris 8200
  • Arris S33

Routers:
  • Orbi (first model that came with 2 satellites and 1 router, rbr50/rbs50 I believe)
  • Netgear AX8
  • Asus Rog Rapture GT-AX-11000
  • Alot of Google wifi routers (I have the several of the ac1200 and 2200)
  • Netgear AX1800
  • TP link ax1800
  • eero pro 6 (I only have 1, not a pack of them)
  • 2x T-mobile ac 1900 routers (assuming these could be flashed, but might be a headache with firmware updates?)

Access Points:
  • ubiquiti unifi ac pro (I have 3 of these and 1 that says LR).
  • Netgear EX7300v2

My thoughts were to for sure swap out the cm600 for the s33, but rotuer wise, I'm not sure what to keep? Would the Rog be the best choice and try to mesh or add access points to spread wifi throughout the home, or what is a great solution?

Last edited:
Won a lot from a event and when I picked it up, there were routers and modems galore (and alot of cat 5 cabling). I'm trying to see what would work best in my situation:

My home is a 1 story, about 2000 sqft, and currently I'm getting about 300-400mbps on xfinity, but I want to futureproof my home for a while.

Currently I'm using the cm600 + 3 netgear orbi tripack Ac3000 (not ax wifi 6, one of the first models that came with 2 satellites and 1 router).

This is what I have:

Modems:
  • Netgear CM600
  • Netgear CM1000
  • Arris 8200
  • Arris S33

Routers:
  • Orbi (first model that came with 2 satellites and 1 router, rbr50/rbs50 I believe)
  • Netgear AX8
  • Asus Rog Rapture GT-AX-11000
  • Alot of Google wifi routers (I have the several of the ac1200 and 2200)
  • Netgear AX1800
  • TP link ax1800
  • eero pro 6 (I only have 1, not a pack of them)
  • 2x T-mobile ac 1900 routers (assuming these could be flashed, but might be a headache with firmware updates?)

Access Points:
  • ubiquiti unifi ac pro (I have 3 of these and 1 that says LR).
  • Netgear EX7300v2

My thoughts were to for sure swap out the cm600 for the s33, but rotuer wise, I'm not sure what to keep? Would the Rog be the best choice and try to mesh or add access points to spread wifi throughout the home, or what is a great solution?

Me, I would consider the options based on my usual approach to purchasing and managing my network... and forget about future-proofing... just build what works best for now.

I would set the old/partial/unfamiliar options aside. I would not waste time hacking the TM firmware.

I'd use the Arris S33/8200 and keep the other one for backup, if it works.

Barring any current firmware issues, I'd use the AX11000 and hope it is sufficient coverage to keep it simple. Otherwise, add a wired AP or wired/wireless AiMesh node.

OE

Last edited:
Me, I would consider the options based on my usual approach to purchasing and managing my network... and forget about future-proofing... just build what works best for now.

I would set the old/partial/unfamiliar options aside. I would not waste time hacking the TM firmware.

I'd use the Arris S33/8200 and keep the other one for backup, if it works.

Barring any current firmware issues, I'd use the AX11000 and hope it is sufficient coverage to keep it simple. Otherwise, add a wired AP or wireless AiMesh node.

OE
That is what I was thinking. The AX-11000, but in terms of ap/wireless aimesh node, what would be my options? Use 1x ubuiqiti unifi ac pro long range with it, or would have to invest in another asus router?

1 story home, 2,000 SqFt. 4 APs? You have too much WiFi.

A single, well-placed unit in a central location (central to area usage, not structural), is all that may be needed and will give a superior networking experience too.

That is what I was thinking. The AX-11000, but in terms of ap/wireless aimesh node, what would be my options? Use 1x ubuiqiti unifi ac pro long range with it, or would have to invest in another asus router?

I have no experience with those APs so I'd have to experiment, if needed.

If the Asus router works and you like it/Asus, it offers options I've summarized in my install notes:

ASUS AiMesh uses performance routers with many features including Asuswrt or Asuswrt-Merlin firmware and AiProtection (no subscription required); extends coverage; improves roaming; centralizes management (no Big Tech account required); maintains wired/wireless backhauls; and can be incrementally upgraded.

If any of that appeals to you, then you might go that route, whatever it takes.

Others here may offer their advice on your options, so I would look for that, too.

OE

A single, well-placed unit in a central location (central to area usage, not structural), is all that may be needed and will give a superior networking experience too.

Yeah, my neighbor had 3 Orbis bunched at one end of the house across 3 levels. The signals were thrashing up and down. I suggested they remove one and spread the remaining two as far apart as possible. Now the signals are steady and peaceful... but still sending 2.4 at 40 MHz over here! :(

OE

I just have 1 orbi router and 1 satellite running with a cm600 as of now.

I have no experience with those APs so I'd have to experiment, if needed.

If the Asus router works and you like it/Asus, it offers options I've summarized in my install notes:

ASUS AiMesh uses performance routers with many features including Asuswrt or Asuswrt-Merlin firmware and AiProtection (no subscription required); extends coverage; improves roaming; centralizes management (no Big Tech account required); maintains wired/wireless backhauls; and can be incrementally upgraded.

If any of that appeals to you, then you might go that route, whatever it takes.

Others here may offer their advice on your options, so I would look for that, too.

OE
I was thinking of putting the rog in my room, and putting 1 ap far away in the home. I'm wondering would the rog and unifi be a better combo than the orbi tripack setup?

If you don't want to mix and match hardware and you have no time to tinker too much with your system, this is all you need.
Right now I want to just sell it. Imo, I feel like the orbi network is not that good. I feel like the rog along with another router would yield better results if I upgrade to 1-2.5 gig internet.

Define "better results". If you like GT-AX11000, use it as a single router placed close to the the middle of your coverage area.

Define "better results". If you like GT-AX11000, use it as a single router placed close to the the middle of your coverage area.
For me, it seems sometimes the orbi has a packet loss issue. Sometimes I will use wifi in the back with enough coverage and it just seems like its stuck or speeds are here and there.

I was previously using a rt-3100 and the coverage was not as much as the orbi, but things seemed to work seamlessly.

The other issue is value. I feel like the orbi is going to depreciate further and it might be best to sell it now.

I just have 1 orbi router and 1 satellite running with a cm600 as of now.

That is not what you stated a few hours ago. :)

For greater than 1Gbps ISP speeds, for a 2,000 SqFt home, today, I would recommend a single, well-placed, RT-AX86U, connected to the ONT via the 2.5GbE port. This assumes that most devices are wirelessly connected. If needed, two RT-AX86Us, well-spaced apart, in wired backhaul mode with appropriate 2.5GbE USB adaptors (please use search for that topic) would be more than enough coverage anywhere within (and a fair distance past) the home.

Buy the recommended router above, be sure it performs as you desire, sell everything else.

Don't buy a single AP solution any more unless you live in an apartment. Plan for multiple APs. High speed 5 and 6 ghz does not penetrate walls and appliances very well. You will end up running on 2.4 ghz if you get very far away. .

Last edited:
I was thinking of putting the rog in my room, and putting 1 ap far away in the home. I'm wondering would the rog and unifi be a better combo than the orbi tripack setup?

I have no experience with the Orbi system and its packaged approach does not appeal to me. If it doesn't 'feel' solid to you, then I can understand looking for something "better".

Since you already have options on hand, I would simply build a new network and try it. You can always turn if OFF and turn your Orbi system back ON. Save the modem upgrade for later since you know your modem works; then you can focus on the downstream comparison.

Start with the AX11000... flash the current firmware, reset to firmware defaults, enter a basic configuration and see how it works and what the WiFi coverage is. You may notice an immediate improvement in client response vs the Orbi system.

See my install notes for a basic configuration and clues... no AX settings until later in the week.

ROG Rapture GT-AX11000 | Gaming Routers|ROG - Republic of Gamers|ROG USA (asus.com)

Reset FAQ
Reset Button/webUI Restore
WPS Button Hard Reset

OE

That is not what you stated a few hours ago. :)

For greater than 1Gbps ISP speeds, for a 2,000 SqFt home, today, I would recommend a single, well-placed, RT-AX86U, connected to the ONT via the 2.5GbE port. This assumes that most devices are wirelessly connected. If needed, two RT-AX86Us, well-spaced apart, in wired backhaul mode with appropriate 2.5GbE USB adaptors (please use search for that topic) would be more than enough coverage anywhere within (and a fair distance past) the home.

Buy the recommended router above, be sure it performs as you desire, sell everything else.
Oh ok, sorry for misclarifying, but this is what I have. I dont really want to invest in any other gear. Imo, I was thinking this:

Modem: S33
Router: Rog ax/Nighthawk ax8/or the google mesh ac 2200 routers

And then run a unifi ac pro

I have no recommendations for you due to unknown hardware condition. If the seal was broken, the item is not new.

If you don't want to invest further funds, then your stated goals may not be reached. Certainly not with the equipment list you have provided (and what equipment I have direct experience with).