What's new

I need a picture

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

porfavorhelp

Regular Contributor
Can any body post me a picture of Asus Stock Firmware WAN DNS configuration. In one of the firmware they change something here. So that is why I want to see please. Thank you!

Can any body post me a picture of Asus Stock Firmware WAN DNS configuration. In one of the firmware they change something here. So that is why I want to see please. Thank you!
Over the past time there have been changes in the WAN page.
It helps to indicate the router you have, the firmware your router has and your WAN Connection Type.
The page given above is the very default page, for many that is fine. When you need to set another WAN Connection Type, the page does change with other fields.

[EDIT] The online Demo GUI is behind, e.g. the WAN page does not show the DNS Privacy Protocol setting.

Last edited:
Over the past time there have been changes in the WAN page.
It helps to indicate the router you have, the firmware your router has and your WAN Connection Type.
The page given above is the very default page, for many that is fine. When you need to set another WAN Connection Type, the page does change with other fields.
Which router and which firmware? The only recent change is the addition of DoT. Is that what you want?

Which router and which firmware? The only recent change is the addition of DoT. Is that what you want?
GT-AX11000 firmware Version 3.0.0.4.386.44266 they said "Modified the DNS setting and router's DNS can be assigned to the LAN side DNS." What is that?

Allright, you read that in the firmware release notes:
Version 3.0.0.4.386.44266
2021/07/08 66.29 MBytes
ASUS GT-AX11000 Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.44266
1. Improved connection stability.
2. Modified the DNS setting and router's DNS can be assigned to the LAN side DNS.
3. Fixed DoS vulnerability from spoofed sae authentication frame. Thanks to Efstratios Chatzoglou, University of the Aegean, Georgios Kambourakis, European Commission at the European Joint Research Centre, and Constantinos Kolias, University of Idaho.
4. Fixed envrams exposed issue. Thanks to Quentin Kaiser from IoT Inspector Research Lab contribution.

I think they mean the additional DoT (DNS-over-TLS) setting in the WAN page and (if that is new?) the DNS entry in the LAN > DHCP page.

The following examples are from my RT-AC68U 3.0.0.4.386.45934.
WAN page:
1638720625258.png

LAN > DHCP page:
1638720474866.png

NB: mind that 3.0.0.4.386.44266 is not the latest firmware, there are newer versions with a whole lot of security fixes.

Last edited:
GT-AX11000 firmware Version 3.0.0.4.386.44266 they said "Modified the DNS setting and router's DNS can be assigned to the LAN side DNS." What is that?
It means the WAN DNS server setting can be set to an IP address on your LAN rather than having to be an external address on the internet. This was apparently not possible before (or didn't work properly). This is useful if you have your own DNS server elsewhere on your LAN.

Modified the DNS setting and router's DNS can be assigned to the LAN side DNS.
This is more a bug fix than a new feature. The previous firmware was setting a static route to the WAN DNS, which would fail to work if you were using a DNS within your LAN (for instance a Pihole, or a Windows DC). This should be resolved in this release.

Allright, you read that in the firmware release notes:
Version 3.0.0.4.386.44266
2021/07/08 66.29 MBytes
ASUS GT-AX11000 Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.44266
1. Improved connection stability.
2. Modified the DNS setting and router's DNS can be assigned to the LAN side DNS.
3. Fixed DoS vulnerability from spoofed sae authentication frame. Thanks to Efstratios Chatzoglou, University of the Aegean, Georgios Kambourakis, European Commission at the European Joint Research Centre, and Constantinos Kolias, University of Idaho.
4. Fixed envrams exposed issue. Thanks to Quentin Kaiser from IoT Inspector Research Lab contribution.

I think they mean the additional DoT (DNS-over-TLS) setting in the WAN page and (if that is new?) the DNS entry in the LAN > DHCP page.

The following examples are from my RT-AC68U 3.0.0.4.386.45934.
WAN page:
View attachment 37633

LAN > DHCP page:
View attachment 37632

NB: mind that 3.0.0.4.386.44266 is not the latest firmware, there are newer versions with a whole lot of security fixes.
Are those pictures from Merlin or Asus Stock Firmware?

3.0.0.4.386.45934 or similar is the Asus convention for firmware numbering and this is the "ASUSWRT - Official" topic, not "Asuswrt - Merlin".