What's new

Solved I need a router because, well, rogers...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RevDrew

New Around Here
We decided to go with rogers since the price was just over half of what bell was charging.

Now we know why, I have multiple devices with static IP's, when I try to do port forwarding, it sets an IP reservation, what is actually *.*.*.16 is being redirected to *.*.*.45.

I just spent almost 2 hours on the phone with them, and they got fairly cranky at the end of it, also, they can't fix it, or tell me how to login to their router directly, it makes you go to [ignitewifi . rogers . com]

I am less than happy, but going forward if I have my own router, setup will be easier when I switch to another ISP provider.

So, I am looking for a decent router that can handle lots of traffic (I have a plex server and an ftp server that friends access), has a good wireless range, is stable and doesn't drop WI-Fi or LAN connections, and yes, I am on a budget. I would be willing to spend up to $300.00 Canadian - taxes in.

I am hoping to get something with a long life too, I still have an RT-N16 with Merlin firmware on it, and it is rock solid, perfect for the workshop access point and network switch.
I don't know if the new stuff is as solid or will last as long as the RT-N16, but I can hope!

Thanks.

* Edit:
I managed to grab an RT-AX86U on Prime day, at a price I could not only live with, but was quite happy with.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply and give me food for thought, I am more than pleased with it so far.

Last edited:
+1 for the RT-AX86U. I don't think you'd get much argument around here that this router has proven to be the best bang for the buck provided you need something modern. It's proven its reliability and peformance over several years now. And supports Merlin as well. You could jump up to say the RT-AX88U, w/ its two additional LAN ports, but at significant price increase (~$100 USD). OTOH, you could step down to something like the RT-AC68U and save quite a bit, but it is getting a bit old in the tooth, but still better than the RT-N16. And its OpenVPN performance is limited to about 30Mbps. Just depends on what YOU need.

Thanks, I was actually looking at the one you suggested, it is more than I want to pay, but it does have a 2.5 Gbps port, which could be handy in the future.
I will look at similar models and see if there is one more affordable to me.
I may wait for Prime day to see if there's any deals too...

I appreciate the suggestions!

what is actually *.*.*.16 is being redirected to *.*.*.45.

No idea what are you talking about. Can you explain better? What router model to begin with?

also, they can't fix it, or tell me how to login to their router directly

If you have no access to your ISP device, how are you going to use port forwarding on your router behind it?

No idea what are you talking about. Can you explain better? What router model to begin with?

If you have no access to your ISP device, how are you going to use port forwarding on your router behind it?
I have a device with a static IP ending in 16, when I setup a port forward, their (the ISP) router is IP reserving an IP ending in 45, so traffic for the forwarded port goes nowhere.

It is the ISP router, no idea what make or model, and I can get into it fine, it's just the advanced features are configured on the cloud, not in the actual router interface.

Is it this one?

1656119524814.png

Code:
https://images.ctfassets.net/8utyj17y1gom/7tSwqhdttwroJF0Zq3MJt5/3cb45b3da66e97ba1c662898bb6d2860/Ignite.png?h=318&w=564&fm=webp&q=100

It is the white one that we have.
It gives a list of names for devices, Raspberry Pi being one I have for my VPN, I also have 1 more playing music, it doesn't distinguish which one is which, and I can't go by IP, or edit the IP. They have dumbed it down for the below average user and want you to use DHCP for everything and they will look after IP reservations. I prefer to control it the way I have for years, which has always worked.

Comcast in the US uses the same gateways and they have started moving most management to their (okay-ish) app. But advanced options are mostly greyed out in the gateway’s gui these days, including any WiFi options. Never tried port forwarding, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it was limited. We’re you trying to use Rogers’ app for port forwarding? It is true, the average user (most customers) don’t need access to advanced features. And it probably causes a lot of customer support calls when people who don’t know what their doing start messing about with settings they don’t understand. But gateways are just not useful for advanced users.

From what I recall, Rogers whole hardware lineup is from Comcast, it works pretty well for most people.
The app goes through the cloud for setup, port forwarding is a joke, there is no guest WI-Fi, it is just basic service really.

I think having my own router will be beneficial in many ways.

The RT-AX86U is about 415 to 420 Canadian, landed at my door, I will wait for Prime day to see if it's on sale, those wanting access to my Plex or FTP, will just have to wait it out.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!