What's new

I need a router that will throttle guest network- Merlin?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DrWatson

New Around Here
Good evening everyone, quick question as I’m searching for a good solid solution. I need a wireless router that will have a few devices on the primary wired/wireless network and then a vast majority of the users on the guest network. I need to throttle that guest network so that everything on the primary works correctly. There will be 50+ devices on the guest network hence why this is so important.

I have read that this feature is available in Merlin firmware for the Asus routers I believe. Can anyone confirm this? If so then I’m happy and will be all set there, if not I’ll need other recommendations for something that will do this specific feature, without involving QoS.

Lastly, which would be the most rock solid AX Asus router for Merlin? Leaning to AX86U, or maybe the AX88U. I’m open to whatever will be the most reliable as that stability is hands down key for the intended use, internet speeds will be just 400/20 believe for now. Gigabit down the road is possible. Thanks all, appreciate the insight!

There will be 50+ devices on the guest network hence why this is so important.

Most home routers can serve about 30 active devices per radio. You are good if not all 50+ devices communicate at the same time, all the time. Otherwise you'll need more radios (access points). Limiting the bandwidth is easy - offer 2.4GHz guest network only @20MHz wide channel. Even faster 2-stream devices will get about 100Mbps max (one client only active) or all devices will get up to 100Mbps combined (multiple clients active). You don't need any special firmware features for that. Just use Wi-Fi 4 tech limitations. This will also leave the 5GHz radio entirely available for your main network devices.

Leaning to AX86U, or maybe the AX88U.

AX86U is newer and more popular choice router model.

Thank you for the reply, I had not considered this option and that might work well. I’ll have to test this out and see if that will be sufficient for my needs. I appreciate the reply, and thank you for the router information too.

One catch for Bandwidth Limiters on home routers is that this function is incompatible with NAT acceleration. Home routers rely heavily on NAT acceleration to reach Gigabit or higher throughput. If you activate Bandwidth Limiter, your router turns into up to ~350Mbps WAN-LAN throughput capable device due to CPU limitations. This is valid for RT-AX86U model as well.

Well the current internet speed is only 200/10, being upgraded to 400/20 so that would not be super bad for my situation. If I manage to move to fiber and get symmetrical 1gb then it would not work but then again if no longer need bandwidth limits at all then.

Long term I’ll pursue a proper enterprise grade system as this is truly what’s needed for the clients I’ll have but for now I need a quick and easy solution to get me by until that can be sorted out.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!