What's new

I think my RT ac 88 U is dieing

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

royarcher

Very Senior Member
my rt ac 88 u running 2.6 has started to drop it's speed from 90+ to about 9 MBS . I have tried several firmwares with a full reset after each flash but no joy. The only thing that helps is a power cycle,I usually do both the modem ( an arris 8200) and the router. It doesn't always work but if I keep doing it it does fix it for a while, sometimes a few days sometimes a few hours. The router must be about 3 years+ old and gets used every day, mainly for streaming and web surfing. Do you guys think it's time to put the old girl to rest or is there anything else I can try? One thing I did try last night was do a site survey and found the best channel for the 2.4 GHz radio was 7 and that helped that radio

Speed dropping over time is more typical of an issue with your ISP connection to the modem rather than the router. When you have the problem can you fix it by just rebooting the modem?

Make sure you're testing the speed from a wired connection and not over WiFi.

Speed dropping over time is more typical of an issue with your ISP connection to the modem rather than the router. When you have the problem can you fix it by just rebooting the modem?

Sometimes but not always. Last night I had to reboot and power cycle it a few times before it came good

I use express VPN,s DNS servers to stream US content and I am wondering if the problem lay with them. I use dynu to register my IP address everytime it changes but lately it hasn't always been automatically registering the IP so I have to log into express VPN and register it manually. Next time it happens I will set the DNS to automaticity detect the DNS rather than use the two I have entered into it and see what happens. At least that should tell me if that's the problem or not

I called in at home as I was close by and I think your right Colin . When I first checked it was at 9+ MBS so I power cycled the modem only and it's back up to 94+. So does that mean the modem needs replacing? As far as wired vs wireless it is the same either way

I called in at home as I was close by and I think your right Colin . When I first checked it was at 9+ MBS so I power cycled the modem only and it's back up to 94+. So does that mean the modem needs replacing?
Possibly, but more often than not it indicates a problem with the ISP's connection. Next time it happens log into the modem and look at its logs and signal levels.
As far as wired vs wireless it is the same either way
WiFi can introduce a whole range of problems of its own so you need to eliminate that possibility while testing by using a wired connection. The same with VPN. If you're speed testing through a VPN service that's not a valid test because it could be the VPN provider that's having issues. So disable the VPN before testing the speed.

Possibly, but more often than not it indicates a problem with the ISP's connection. Next time it happens log into the modem and look at its logs and signal levels.

WiFi can introduce a whole range of problems of its own so you need to eliminate that possibility while testing by using a wired connection. The same with VPN. If you're speed testing through a VPN service that's not a valid test because it could be the VPN provider that's having issues. So disable the VPN before testing the speed.
Ok thanks for your help I'll check the modems logs next time it happens and see what is happening. They probably won't mean anything to me so I'll post it thanks again

It looks to me like Express VPN on my pc occassioanly causes the network connection at the repeater to fail. It takes about 5 minutes to come back on. There are no error messages in the logs, and I can't find any other cause.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!