What's new

"I thought it would be easier..." a.k.a. Newbie needs help setting up MoCA 2.5 (scream beam) + FiOS 1gb using existing Coax

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DragonsSouthlake

New Around Here
I hate to be Captain Obvious but I have no clue how to utilize the scream beam MoCA 2.5 adapters using our existing COAX.

My goal was to have a MoCA adapter in 4 different rooms to improve performance.

I've attached images of existing and what I thought would be future state.

** Thank you in advance for the support **

Questions:
I don't have connectivity - internet access - from any of the MoCa 2.5 i added.
Existing setup works just fine as before. No internet access from MoCA 2.5 adapters.

Where should I locate MoCA units? One before the splitter and then one MoCa at end of each run I have identified for MoCA?

Currently:
Frontier FiOS
No TV, No STB's, no "modems" just straight 1gb FiOS service - no issues, internet access better than good

1/ FiOS 1gb serviceman to house (ONT).
2/ ONT to attic location via Coax.
3/ In Attic FiOS installed powered splitter. not branded as Frontier nor verizon.
4/ Two runs are attached to splitter. One run has nothing at other end just standard term/connector. Second run goes to family room, has FiOS Coax to ethernet powered adapter
5/ From adapter to Netgear Night hawk ac2200 router using ethernet cable
6/ Router to DirecTv box via ethernet
7/ AC2200 blasts wifi and well it works ok until you walk away :)

1699932870869.png

1699932916371.png

Attachments

• FiOS .pdf
    80.4 KB · Views: 13
3/ In Attic FiOS installed powered splitter. not branded as Frontier nor verizon.
Are you sure it’s powered? A powered amplifier makes zero sense for your setup, given you have no TV STBs. Can you provide the brand & model # of this splitter?

Second run goes to family room, has FiOS Coax to ethernet powered adapter
What is the brand & model # of this adapter? If there is a physical configuration switch next to its coax port, to what position is it set?

Making assumptions, hopefully what you have is a Frontier FCA252 adapter set to “25GW” connected to the Ethernet WAN port of your router, allowing use of the ScreenBeam adapters to extend the router LAN over your coax. The critical bit is that the FCA252[25GW] setting shifts the FCA252 adapter’s operating range to 400-900 MHz, compatible with the ONT’s MoCA 2.5 WAN configuration — leaving the full MoCA Extended Band D range (1125-1675 MHz) available for LAN use.

‘gist: You'll be operating two separate MoCA networks over your coax, one for the WAN link, and the other to extend the router LAN around the house.

To get the MoCA LAN running, you’d need to install one ScreenBeam adapter at the router, linked to a LAN port on the router, and using a MoCA-compatible 2-way splitter to allow both the ScreenBeam “LAN” MoCA adapter and FCA252 “WAN” MoCA adapter to be connected to the room’s lone coax outlet. And you’d then install your other ScreenBeam adapters in each remote room targeted.

However… you’ll likely also need to replace the attic device with a right-sized MoCA-optimized passive splitter (example), with a MoCA filter (example) installed on its input port.

Example:
FCA252-25GW MoCA WAN.png

Last edited:
Thank you,
Pictures attached

1/ Prior to going with just FiOS internet, we did have Verizon at one point with 3 STB's. Not sure if power splitter was installed by Verizon or a few years later by Frontier.

Splitter is CCC brand, has power using coax cable from a/c outlet to splitter, coat into splitter is from not box; out of splitter to a 8 port "not" powered splitter
1700006197632.png

2/ The FiOS adapter is a FCA252, InterTek 3173364, branded as Frontier FiOS, has 1GW LAN 25GW label on coax side of unit

3/ Coming out of FiOS FCA252 is an ethernet cable connected to Netgear WAN port

1700006136831.png
1700006179225.png

Ok, so that all maps to my assumptions in the prior reply, so you should be able to follow those details to get your setup working. Ask questions, as needed.

Splitter is CCC brand, has power using coax cable from a/c outlet to splitter, coat into splitter is from not box; out of splitter to a 8 port "not" powered splitter
1700006197632.png

Expanding a bit…

To repeat, the in-line powered amplifier and current 8-way splitter in the attic should be removed and replaced, per prior reply:
… replace the attic device with a right-sized MoCA-optimized passive splitter (example), with a MoCA filter (example) installed on its input port.

An alternative to the suggested “PoE” MoCA filter and splitter combo in the attic would be using a single 7-output hybrid MoCA splitter, like >this<, making sure to connect the coax line to the router/FCA252 location to the main, “H1” hybrid output port (to minimize loss for the MoCA WAN path). Just be sure to pluck all the terminators off the current splitter and use them, as needed, to cap any unused ports on the hybrid splitter.

...Sorry, was trying to roll back the miles on my dads car odometer. ....

So, i added the 7 output hybrid splitter you referenced, added caps on un-used port(s), made sure H1 was the connection to FC232/router.
Green lights on scream beam

I connected a laptop (Dell Windows 11) to a scream beam unit. wasn't able to get laptop to detect internet connectivity.

Not sure where I go from here. Do i need to configure scream beams? settings on laptop..??

So, i added the 7 output hybrid splitter you referenced, added caps on un-used port(s), made sure H1 was the connection to FC232/router.
And removed the powered amp and prior splitter ... and the main router is still functioning normally? What speedtest results do you see with the laptop wired directly to a LAN port on the router?

Separately... with a pair of ScreenBeam adapters direct-connected to each other using a short coax cable...
  • Do the LED status lights on the adapters indicate a MoCA connection?
  • Connect one ScreenBeam via Ethernet to a LAN port on the router, and the other to your laptop. Test connectivity and throughput from the laptop. Is it equivalent to the prior test with the laptop hard-wired direct to the router?

Green lights on scream beam

I connected a laptop (Dell Windows 11) to a scream beam unit. wasn't able to get laptop to detect internet connectivity.
This doesn't describe/detail how you've connected the ScreenBeam adapters, nor does it indicate *what* status LEDs are green, for which adapters.

If you installed multiple ScreenBeam adapters in your remote rooms but failed to install one at the router location, the adapters would be connecting to each other, resulting in all the status LEDs lighting-up ... but without a path to the router., so no IP address or Internet connection for the laptop.

Did you install a ScreenBeam adapter at the router location, per the above "FCA252[25GW] MoCA WAN" diagram ... to establish the main MoCA/Ethernet LAN bridge? (With 4 ScreenBeam adapters on-hand, you have enough for the router location plus 3 remote rooms.)

You'll be operating two separate MoCA networks over your coax, one for the WAN link, and the other to extend the router LAN around the house.

To get the MoCA LAN running, you’d need to install one ScreenBeam adapter at the router, linked to a LAN port on the router, and using a MoCA-compatible 2-way splitter to allow both the ScreenBeam “LAN” MoCA adapter and FCA252 “WAN” MoCA adapter to be connected to the room’s lone coax outlet.

Example:
FCA252-25GW MoCA WAN.png

Last edited:
I put togethe a simple diagram.
1) upgraded to 1gb FiOS - have good speeds but..
2) MoCa adapters either don't work or speeds are really slow.
3) Also, my work laptop won't connect to internet if hardwired to the Netgear 308 switch. Had to connect Laptop cat6 cabe to the Eero pro6e the connect ct6 from eero to the netgear switch.
4) if I connect cat6 cable from FCA252 --> eero6 and a cable from eero6-->netgear switch, the devices connected via netgear switch don't connect to internet.
5) connection speeds between FCA252 and MoCa - when connected together are good.
6) deployed three eero pro 6e and wireless is solid 490-800+ speeds

Q: should the coax cables connected to the Amphenol splitter be connected only to the M1...M4 connectors? Some are connected to the Hybrid connectors.
the main inbound coax line that feed the FC252 is connected to the Amphenol INPUT port, and the coax from am phenol to FCA252 is on H1.

Appreciate the help.

1706481489416.png

Attachments

• Moca25 v2.pdf
    148.7 KB · Views: 5
I'm sorry but why do you have only coax to your fios ONT? Shouldnt you have ethernet to the router?

?? The house is wired only with coax- Ont is outside and wired to coax line - that runs across attic and drops in to main living area ….cat6 cable from fca252 nova - provided by good to eero router and Netgear switch

Just addressing the diagram, you're mixing the "WAN" and "LAN" links in an unmanaged switch, rather than connecting the FCA252[25GW] adapter directly to the eero Pro 6e's Ethernet WAN port. Your "Wrok laptop" block and "LAN" Screenbeam adapter should both be connected to the unmanaged switch, which would be linked via Ethernet to the eero Pro 6e's other network port. (see also reference diagram above)

4) if I connect cat6 cable from FCA252 --> eero6 and a cable from eero6-->netgear switch, the devices connected via netgear switch don't connect to internet.
Making this change, you would likely need to power cycle the ONT to reset how it's dished out your WAN IP. Connecting the FCA252[25GW] adapter directly to the eero Pro 6e is the only correct configuration. The other port on the eero is then for all your downstream "LAN" devices.

Q: should the coax cables connected to the Amphenol splitter be connected only to the M1...M4 connectors? Some are connected to the Hybrid connectors.
the main inbound coax line that feed the FC252 is connected to the Amphenol INPUT port, and the coax from am phenol to FCA252 is on H1.
ONT feed to input, and FCA252[25GW] on H1 is 100% correct.

What's the actual model # of your Amphenol hybrid splitter? I've seen a couple different versions, so I'm curious as to what its specs sheet actually says about path attenuation between the output ports.

- - -

If the Garage is currently not connecting, I'd try a pair of MoCA adapters on each end of its coax line just to verify there isn't something wrong with that particular line (example), and to make sure you've correctly identified the line; otherwise, you may want to identify the lowest loss alternative port on the hybrid splitter (probably H2 or H3) and use one of those for the Garage. (And, obviously, swap adapters around to make sure it's not an issue with just the one adapter.)

- - -

connecting the FCA252[25GW] adapter directly to the eero Pro 6e's Ethernet WAN port
To be specific, both the eero Pro 6e and FCA252 being equipped w/ 2.5 GbE network ports, and just having a Gigabit unmanaged switch (Netgear GS308), the FCA252[25GW] should be Ethernet-connected to the 2.5 GbE network port on the eero Pro 6e.

Though... were you to add a 2.5 GbE network switch, even a small one, it might make sense to reverse the WAN/LAN connections for the eero, shifting the 2.5 GbE port to LAN use. (Especially if the ScreenBeam adapters used are the ECB7250 model, also equipped with a 2.5 GbE network port.) If you might be considering a 2.5 GbE network swtich, it would probably make sense to initialize the eero gateway setup with that topology in mind, and start with the eero 2.5 GbE network port linked for LAN use.

- - -

6) deployed three eero pro 6e and wireless is solid 490-800+ speeds
Are those all using wireless backhaul, at present?

Last edited: