What's new

IBM 49Y4230 question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

azazel1024

Very Senior Member
I am looking at updating the NICs in my machines one of these months soon. I currently am running a pair of Intel Gigabit CT NICs in my desktop and in my server. A little outdated and Intel has graciously decided to end support with Windows 8 (initial 8.1 driver released, but nothing more will be forthcoming according to Intel).

So I was looking at Intel dual port NICs and it looks like my options are the i340-t2 and i350-t2. Further more, it looks like there are a boat load of IBM 49Y4230 cards based on the i340-t2. Any idea if these will work in non-IBM systems? Or does IBM lock it to their server boards?

I'd certainly prefer to get in on one for around $80 instead of the ~$130-150 new price of an i350-t2.

Alternately, anyone know of any GOOD dual port NICs that are non-Intel? Anything that'll support standard jumbo frames, RSS, offloads, etc?

I assume no issues with system locking? I haven't found anything that suggests that there are...but at the same time, I know too many guys who do that kind of crap.

That is interesting though as I haven't seen much in the way of broadcom wired NICs lately and very interesting in that IBM has a PCI-e single lane, dual port option. I'd like whatever goes in my server to be flexible in case a future board ends up "light".

Same with my desktop, though a little less worried there as there are a fair number of boards with 4x PCIe 2.0 slots in addition to the 16x PCIe 3.0 and some number of 1x slots.

Oh, a follow up, any idea on these? http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-INTEL-i...US_Internal_Network_Cards&hash=item23370fedb8

They use Intel i350am2 PHYs apparently, but chinese OEM brand. The price is most certainly right, though I'd still prefer 1x, but I have the ability to drop it in to my server/desktop just fine. I am just concerned about quality and drivers. I assume it would use the regular Intel driver package...but no idea on other board components (or if it is a clone chip, which I am guessing probably not).