What's new

Ienron switches any good for managed switch?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Maverick009

So I saw this in a thread at another site that lead me to the Amazon page for it. I have an Ienron 4 port 2.5G + 10G SFP+ 2 Port Switch with a VLAN on/off toggle. It seems to work well and I have 1 10G port on my Intel X540-T2 card going to the switches 1 10G SFP+ port with the other 10G SFP+ port going to my gaming and NAS media Unraid server, while my main PC is connected to one of the 2.5G ports. I happen to see that they now have some managed switches and have seen reviews including from Lawrence Networks talking about these and similar devices with little to no cons. The switch below has a lot of features with a nice price to boot. Wanted to get thoughts possibly on anyone that owns some of the higher end stuff from this OEM.

Ienron

30 Port 2.5G Managed Layer 3 PoE Switch, 24 x 2.5 Gigabit Base-T Ports, 6 x 10 Gigabit SFP Switch, Ethernet Switch, Smart Switch, Flexible DHCP/VLAN/MAC/ACL/QoS/SNMP V1/V2/V3/IGMP​

Is it easy to find the support site for the OEM? If not then it's probably just a different name on a box that's available from multiple vendors. If you think you are ever likely to need support (or even a decent manual that you can read) then you'd probably be better off going with a device from a company that can offer that support - and there is often little price difference.

Is it easy to find the support site for the OEM? If not then it's probably just a different name on a box that's available from multiple vendors. If you think you are ever likely to need support (or even a decent manual that you can read) then you'd probably be better off going with a device from a company that can offer that support - and there is often little price difference.
Not really looking for manual type support. More of quality or problems.

The problem is that if the brand is an unknown quantity, you don't know what you are buying. Agreed a "basic" network switch is something you should plug in and forget, but when you move to "smart switches", it's going to have some software component and you need to know the SFP+ ports are properly compatible.
If the difference is only a couple of dollars, I'd go with a name I know and can get support for. *I'm not being a snob, it's just personal experience with unknown brands!

The problem is that if the brand is an unknown quantity, you don't know what you are buying. Agreed a "basic" network switch is something you should plug in and forget, but when you move to "smart switches", it's going to have some software component and you need to know the SFP+ ports are properly compatible.
If the difference is only a couple of dollars, I'd go with a name I know and can get support for. *I'm not being a snob, it's just personal experience with unknown brands!
Just because the brand is unknown, doesn't always mean it is not quality. This is also a home network and not exactly a problem. Looking to expand and play around with a low entry point is all. I was just wondering if anyone had experience with it to know how well it performs or how good the firmware may be. Some of these switches can also support 3rd party firmware so I was just getting ideas first if possible.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!