What's new

I'm getting a new Asus GT-AX-11000

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I got the new router today, plan to set it up this weekend, will report back!

You guys who have a AX11000, any "custom or non-default settings you prefer??

Thanks!

Last edited:
Step one converting the old 5300 to Merlin. WOW!! This has lots of new features, including AI Mesh 2.0, the speed test, and other things I've seen in software on their newest routers. Also seems rock solid, and quicker! Later today I'm installing the AX11000, then putting the 5300 back in as a mesh node. Stay tuned.

Quick question, Can I make my devices use 2.4 and only 5G channel one, automatically depending on signal strength and proximity? I've never know how to do that my Eero did it automatically. It is as simple as setting both radios to the same SSID??? Any other settings I shoujld set/adjust/tweak?? Thanks!!

Last edited:
Any other settings I shoujld set/adjust/tweak?? Thanks!!

Regardless of the ISP speed, I would recommend connecting the AX11000 via 2.5Gbps port to the modem using CAT6 or newer. I was receiving quite a bit of bufferbloat on the upload when using the standard 1Gbps port which resulted in ping spikes and poor bufferbloat grades. YMMV

Switched to the 2.5Gbps WAN port seemed to alleviate any bottleneck on this router:

1621143222156.png

1621143268558.png

1621143296846.png

Thanks Coffee! I appreciate that tip! A friend has a XT8, do you suspect it may be similar?? As I recall it has a 2.5G port as well.

Thanks Coffee! I appreciate that tip! A friend has a XT8, do you suspect it may be similar?? As I recall it has a 2.5G port as well.

You're welcome. I'm not familiar with the XT8 setup, so I'm not sure.

As for the AX11000, Merlin's firmware definitely is better than stock in reference to speed. Set it and forget it.

I have an AX11000 wich first was running stock firmware. By far the most stable router i ever had. Since shortly i moved over to Merlin firmware on the AX11000. Again running stable as rock but prefire Merlin Just for the VPN routing rules wich is not possible with the VPN fusion (on stock firmware)

You're welcome. I'm not familiar with the XT8 setup, so I'm not sure.

As for the AX11000, Merlin's firmware definitely is better than stock in reference to speed. Set it and forget it.
Thanks! I'm setting it up later today, wife is working from home, so I have to wait for an open window - then pray it works well, or she's gonna be ticked off! ;-)

I'm setting it up later today, wife is working from home, so I have to wait for an open window

You can pre-set all you need with different SSIDs/channels, change to your own after and swap the routers with minimum down time. Some say new SSIDs are better, but I never changed my SSIDs in like 15y. You may need to forget/re-connect some of the clients and you're good to go.

Just connected my new AX11000 Router. WOW!! Very quick - boots, loads firmware, web GUI everything very quick and responsive! Pages seem snappier to load as well. Getting ready to connect my old 5300 as AI Mesh, I'll update...

Wow! If you're a PC gamer, which I used to be, this thing is the Sh&$! All sorts of interesting settings, analysis and tweaks. I'm geeking out over all these settings!

Same size as my old router, I kept reading how huge this router was, I assumed it would be bigger, but its the same as the 5300.

Update - AI MESH Connect to old RT5300: Easy Peasy so far.

Update: Try the 2.5G LAN port - made web pages load really fast for me.

Last edited:
Just connected my new AX11000 Router. WOW!! Very quick - boots, loads firmware, web GUI everything very quick and responsive! Pages seem snappier to load as well. Getting ready to connect my old 5300 as AI Mesh, I'll update...

Wow! If you're a PC gamer, which I used to be, this thing is the Sh&$! All sorts of interesting settings, analysis and tweaks. I'm geeking out over all these settings!

Same size as my old router, I kept reading how huge this router was, I assumed it would be bigger, but its the same as the 5300.

Update - AI MESH Connect to old RT5300: Easy Peasy so far.
I also receive mine later today to replace my trusty but aging RT-AC86U. I wanted the AXE11000, but I don't expect it to have Merlin support anytime soon.

Does anyone know if the AX11000 has a captive portal for guest networks?