What's new

Implementing 10 Gb link in my home network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pociej

New Around Here
Hi

I'm in market for switch (or switches) to upgrade my network to be capable of 10 Gb in between computer and a NAS (which is up to upgrade so it's not decided if it would have copper or fiber 10 Gb).
Later on I want to set up VLANs to separate devices.
Switch should be fanless.

Right now I'm using pretty simple configuration with 1 Gb connections between devices like it's shown on figure 1 (https://i.imgur.com/Zt8aGkk.png).

Now I own:
Cisco EPC3212 as a gateway
Asus RT-AC68U as a router
TP-Link TL-SG108E V2 as main switch
TP-Link TL-SG1008D as additional switch
TP-Link TL-PA4010 KIT for PLC
Cat. 6 S/FTP cabling between devices
Computer with 10 Gb card, RJ-45

After some thinking I came down to two options on which I would like to get your opinion.

Option 1: (figure 2 https://i.imgur.com/X9weYEp.png)
Netgear GS110EMX as main switch to establish 10 Gb connection between computer and NAS, moving TL-SG108E to be secondary switch, ditching the SG1008D.
Netgear look OK for the money, have nice warranty and I think would be suited for my needs.

Option 2: (figure 3 https://i.imgur.com/WwXmZ6O.png)
MikroTik CRS305-1G-4S+IN as a separate switch for 10 Gb and additional 8x1 Gb switch (model to be determined).
Looks like more flexible configuration due to more 10 Gb ports but there're problems with 10 Gb -> 1 Gb traffic in CRS3** MikroTik switches (https://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?t=128843) which isn't solved yet.
And there is need of use 10 Gb copper module for SPF+ slot like MikroTik S+RJ10 or Ubiquiti UF-RJ45-10G.

All suggestions welcome, thanks!

FIGURE 1:

Zt8aGkk.png

FIGURE 2:

X9weYEp.png

FIGURE 3:

WwXmZ6O.png

you dont need to say that something is down in network design.

My network design is very simple.
Router -> 10Gb/s SFP+ -> SFP+ switch -> bonded 2x SFP+ -> 24 port gb/s switch with 2 SFP+
- ------------------------------- |||
--------------------------Multiple NASes
Im using mikrotik all the way but switch wise while they are ok, they arent perfect, it can get complicated. The most important for you to consider in your network is to eliminate bottlenecks. In figure 2 the NAS can provide more than 1Gb/s to other clients vs figure 3.

I have a total of 3 SFP+ NICs, one of it dual SFP+ using a mixture of mikrotik and generic SFP+ cables.
I have at least 3 quad port intel server NICs and in my config i can max things out
While my router has 2 SFP+ Links it makes no sense to use both to the main switch but if i ever do get 10Gb/s internet and if i do need additional bandwidth to separate control and WAN traffic, i can even combine SFP+ with a gigabit ethernet port on the main SFP+ switch as it has 2 gigabit ethernet ports.

Your router is doing both wifi, control and internet, so if you have 1Gb/s internet there will be a bottleneck. Thats why routers with LACP is a good thing in bigger LANs.

You can also use a direct wifi bridge rather than powerline or moca if you want more bandwidth like a 3 channel wifi AC bridge will provide around 600Mb/s practical.

Thanks for answer.

(Indicating that link is down is only for my purpose of tracking how much ports available I have.)

To clarify, only Mac and NAS need link faster than 1 Gb, all other devices are OK with 1 Gb or 100 Mb connection.
IPS providing me with 250 Mb/s so router is fine there too and wouldn't be bottleneck.

Regarding figure 3 I could aggregate 2x 1Gb link to Gigabit switch but like I said, there's no need to so I planned only single connection.

As you're using MikroTik switches do you have problems with traffic between 1 Gb and 10 Gb devices?
This is my main concern about this switch...

Regarding replacing PLC with Wi-Fi bridge I don't think that is which I want...
Walls are made of thick concrete so Wi-Fi isn't doing best in my house and devices behind PLC and from A/V group so there're pretty fine with 100 Mb connection.

Thanks for answer.

(Indicating that link is down is only for my purpose of tracking how much ports available I have.)

To clarify, only Mac and NAS need link faster than 1 Gb, all other devices are OK with 1 Gb or 100 Mb connection.
IPS providing me with 250 Mb/s so router is fine there too and wouldn't be bottleneck.

Regarding figure 3 I could aggregate 2x 1Gb link to Gigabit switch but like I said, there's no need to so I planned only single connection.

As you're using MikroTik switches do you have problems with traffic between 1 Gb and 10 Gb devices?
This is my main concern about this switch...

Regarding replacing PLC with Wi-Fi bridge I don't think that is which I want...
Walls are made of thick concrete so Wi-Fi isn't doing best in my house and devices behind PLC and from A/V group so there're pretty fine with 100 Mb connection.
Mikrotik has no problem with that, only learning, so if you change ports about, things like what port connects to router and other switches you will have to reboot the switch. You should enable control flow on the switches (disabled by default), which can help avoid such problems if you encounter any.

Wifi bridges can be made with directional antennas, your PS4 is far behind. I have the AV2000 which gives 200Mb/s so anything like that or better would give a better speed for that switch.

Second part of network (behind PLC) is OK, I don't want to touch it right now due to minimize funds to spend.

The point in upgrade is to make 10 Gb connection between Mac and NAS.

If no one else have some suggestions then I think I will go with Netgear for the main switch due to easier use, warranty and being 2 in 1 for me (10Gb and 1Gb switch in 1 box).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!