What's new

Improve House Wifi / Keep Existing Router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Should I be considering the RT-AX68U instead

AX68U may be a good option for you, but it's less popular around. Dual-core ARMv8 CPU with AES (the same OpenVPN performance as AX86U) and 512MB RAM + Asuswrt-Merlin support. Don't buy AX58U - weaker hardware and software limited Wi-Fi, needs more space. RT-AX82U is supported by @GNUton with Asuswrt-Merlin official fork - alpha builds are already available for testing. AX82U and AX58U share the same hardware, but AX82U has extra features unlocked and RGB lights. This is what you are going to pay extra for. Asus "Gaming" marketing.

I'm not going to wind up wanting a 6E router soon-ish?

Unlikely.

Last edited:
Most likely it will. I have one AX88U for experiments, the same hardware as AX86U. It has at least 20% better coverage than AC68U on 5GHz band. This is perhaps all you need to reach the weak Wi-Fi spots. I would avoid AiMesh, if a single router can do the job.
Good to know!

AX68U may be a good option for you, but it's less popular around. Dual-core ARMv8 CPU with AES (the same OpenVPN performance as AX86U) and 512MB RAM + Asuswrt-Merlin support. Don't buy AX58U - weaker hardware and software limited Wi-Fi, needs more space. RT-AX82U is supported by @GNUton with Asuswrt-Merlin official fork - alpha builds are already available for testing. AX82U and AX58U share the same hardware, but AX82U has extra features unlocked and RGB lights. This is what you are going to pay extra for. Asus "Gaming" marketing.

Unlikely.
How does the AX68U Wifi compare to the AX86U as far as 5GHz range? AX68U would still be a huge upgrade over my AC68U? I'm be losing some high end wifi speeds, 1 USB port and the 2.5Gbps lan port, not that much for me to worry about. What else?

If AX58U is bad hardware and AX82U is the same hardware, avoid that too? Either way, I don't think I'd get something without full Merlin support.

I consider the performance the RT-AX86U offers as a half-decade plus router. For $20 per year (negligible by any metric), you're getting double the hardware where it counts. CPU cores, RAM, and streams. All of these together are worth much more than $100 today (and they'll more than likely be worth double the money in 2027).

If your budget gives you the leeway, splurge on your network and don't look back.

The RT-AX68U gives great wireless performance, but it is no RT-AX86U, overall. See post 14 for further details in the links therein.

I still haven't hooked up the AX68U yet. Not sure I really want to spend $270 for a router at this time. I'm still wondering a bit how things would look with a pair of mesh routers in AP mode connected to my existing AC68U. I would think that would likely get me more coverage than an AX86U or AX68U, yes? Where is the AC68U holding me back at that point? I know OpenVPN would be limited to around 50Mbps, but that's something I rarely use, if ever. Where else will the AC68U be a problem?

As an over 9-year-old platform today, the RT-AC68U will be dropped soon. Simply numbers/fact. That is the major problem I see with that model. At least for the faster ISP speeds, many people enjoy today and for a long time now, for some.

That $270 router today will seem cheap compared to what's coming in 2022.

An AiMesh setup will give better coverage, (again, simple numbers). But as you've experienced already, coverage isn't the only aspect of a good/working network.

I'll be repetitive here. An RT-AC68U that barely covers a home will be eclipsed by even an RT-AX68U (let alone an RT-AX86U). The AX routers are current, well supported (now, and well into the future), and by all accounts offer long service just like the RT-AC68U has.

Words on a forum can't fully convey how your network and online experience will be by upgrading to it (please see my attempts to do so with my previous posts in this thread though). You will need to try it, in your home, for yourself. If after a few hours/days you think it isn't an upgrade, you can return the unit then.

Even an RT-AC3100 or an RT-AC86U will be an improvement in your network. But I can hardly recommend those models, today.

And maybe even more links than you'd like. :)

About L&LD

Almost all L&LD Links

I'm still wondering a bit how things would look with a pair of mesh routers in AP mode connected to my existing AC68U.

Unnecessary complication with more failure points and limitations. Good Orbi or Eero system is more than $270.

As an over 9-year-old platform today, the RT-AC68U will be dropped soon.

Unlikely. Asus sells new AC66U B1 and AC68U V3 routers. I've seen examples made in 2021. A new V4 is coming.

Last edited:
Unnecessary complication with more failure points and limitations. Good Orbi or Eero system is more than $270.
Yes, but just for use as access points, I could get something that would probably provide me more coverage that single Asus for close to $150.

Guess the question is could I get away with an AX68U? Think from power and features standpoint, I could. Is it going to give me at least some more range over my current AC68U though?

What you are going to use as Access Points?
Is I went with access points and the old AC68U? Not sure. Maybe like Deco X20 that I could get cheap.

If a single AX68U would provide me enough power, features and coverage range, sounds like that might be best, but I'm worried about buying that and still needing APs.

I don't think you're reading anything directly related to the questions you're repeatedly asking?

From the last link in the post above, A single RT-AX68U outperformed 2x RT-AC86U's in an almost 4,000 SqFt home. What else is there to say? Except maybe the post from https://www.snbforums.com/threads/improve-house-wifi-keep-existing-router.76184/post-729574.

I don't think you're reading anything directly related to the questions you're repeatedly asking?

From the last link in the post above, A single RT-AX68U outperformed 2x RT-AC86U's in an almost 4,000 SqFt home. What else is there to say? Except maybe the post from https://www.snbforums.com/threads/improve-house-wifi-keep-existing-router.76184/post-729574.
Apologies for missing some of this. There are a lot of links to follow that lead to other links but no excuse.

That particular quote is very helpful and I had not seen that. Sounds like AX68U would indeed give me a good bit more coverage. That may be the easy to go here. Your point about the AC68U losing support at some point soon is good and I'll need another Merlin router sooner than later.

Appreciate your time responding.

Edit: I have had no luck with AiMesh with 2 AC68Us. I know very quickly if I turn the second router on. Get drops and freezes. Maybe would be better with AX68U as the main router? Would be worth trying.

Last edited:
Dual radio systems cut the throughput on half to each node. Get at least something with dedicated wireless backhaul.
Yes, I can't easily do wired backhaul so a tri band AP probably is best, but then I'm back over into the $250 range so no point really.

Yes, AiMesh v1.0 was too experimental even for me.

Refreshingly, AiMesh v2.0 works extremely well for many, many people.

Including, and particularly, wired (2.5GbE) backhaul in my network too.

Does the OP have any coax runs to the areas where the signal is weaker (if the single box solution doesn't work out) ?
IF you do, look at using a couple MOCA modems to extend the wired ethernet backhaul.

No Coax runs.
Does the OP have any coax runs to the areas where the signal is weaker (if the single box solution doesn't work out) ?
IF you do, look at using a couple MOCA modems to extend the wired ethernet backhaul.
I'm not sure. There used to be coax where the router is and there used to be coax where I could put a 2nd AP, but that's all been decommissioned. Not sure if there's any connection between them anymore.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!