What's new

Installation on GT-AX11000 not doing anything?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DeejUK

Occasional Visitor
Hi folks,

Newbie, and first-time poster here. Apologies if this isn't the right forum to use for help requests.

I've got an Asus ROG GT-AX11000 running stock firmware 3.0.0.4.386_49599-g8352df7. I'm trying to install AsusWRT Merlin (mostly so I can try Diversion). I've downloaded GT-AX11000_386.7_2.zip, unpacked it, and used the router's web UI to try manually installing the firmware using the file GT-AX11000_386.7_2_cferom_ubi.w. The UI pops up with "Please wait, Applying Settings..." and then appears to reboot. I don't see any progress meter saying that it's installing the firmware or anything. The router comes back online, it's still serving the ROG-branded UI, and when I ssh into it amtm doesn't appear to be on $PATH. The router's web UI reports that it's still running 3.0.0.4.386_49599-g8352df7.

Screenshot 2022-11-30 at 10.41.56.png

I can't see anything obvious in the logs. I've got a rudimentary knowledge of Linux (ex-software developer, but systems and networks are not my strong point), so I'd be grateful for any pointers on where to debug further - I'm not sure which executable handles the firmware upgrade, or where it logs to.

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong? I expect it's some sort of PEBKAC issue.

I've pastebinned the system logs as reported through the UI, from what appears to be when I attempted the firmware update.

Have you tried rebooting again? Did you reset before flashing? (standard response)

Thanks for the reply @Ripshod. A further reset has no effect. I did a reboot before attempting the firmware install. What is meant by a reset in this context - factory reset, reboot, or something else? I was sort of reluctant to do a factory reset in case restoring settings didn't work and then I'd be in the misery of a family who can't watch streaming stuff :) I suppose I'll need to have some faith that stuff will work though!

Factory reset should be enough. When making such a firmware jump I'd recommend against restoring any settings you've saved as it'll likely work but show errors later.
So factory reset > flash > reboot again after the router comes back up.
Tip - take photos or screenshots of the settings pages before reset saves a lot of pain

Thanks!
When making such a firmware jump
Is it a big jump in the sense that it's going from stock to Merlin, or am I jumping many versions? I don't truly understand the versioning system Asus uses, but I figured as they're both 386 that there wouldn't be any significant differences. Have I misunderstood the versioning system?

Last edited:
It's just from my own experience. I've had a few failures in my time even updating to the next release, and I've even had to use a special utility to recover a bricked ac88u - brown trouser time.

It'll be quick and easy for you.
Reset > install > reboot again.
Then a cup of tea ;)

So... I tried again after a few hours, and the install just worked. I wonder if trying it straight after reboot is actually a bad idea, and there's some background process still running when it comes back online that prevents the firmware install from happening?

Maybe it just needed rebooting? Who knows? Glad you've got it sorted ;)

Thanks!

Only thing now is performance seems to be way worse. I wish I'd done some scientific tests, but loading webpages is slower, as is pulling stuff off of the USB drives configured as Samba shares. Is this expected? Pings to google.com from my Macbook are intermittently spiking to >2000ms, 16 seconds to download an 80KiB .png...

EDIT - disabling and re-enabling wifi on my Mac sorted it. I noticed that I wasn't seeing the same sort of volatility in connectivity from the router itself. Ta for the help!

Last edited:
@L&LD could you link me to the reasoning behind doing the full reset after flashing? Not that I'm doubting it, I just want to understand why.

@L&LD could you link me to the reasoning behind doing the full reset after flashing? Not that I'm doubting it, I just want to understand why.
I always factory reset when jumping from stock fw to rmerlin or vice-versa to minimize any issues.

Post in thread 'when installing merlin - do all settings get reset?' https://www.snbforums.com/threads/when-installing-merlin-do-all-settings-get-reset.34569/post-279648

That was a good read and it's all a lot clearer now. Very interesting regards the nvram but it makes sense. Thank you @Kingp1n

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!