What's new

Installed Asus merlin beta version by mistake and now router is not working

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

danette26

New Around Here
Hi everyone, I have an Asus RT-AC86U and I have installed the beta version by mistake on my Asus router. Since then, when my router turns on, ONLY the light of the 4th WAN (the power light is not even on) connection is on, even when nothing is connected to it. I've tried to reboot, I've tried to reset, I've tried to reinstall the original Asus software but impossible. No matter how long I will hold the reset button, the ONLY light on still is the 4th WAN. I can't reinstall because I can't put the router on the right mode to install something in it. Anyone with an idea?

Hi everyone, I have an Asus RT-AC86U and I have installed the beta version by mistake on my Asus router. Since then, when my router turns on, ONLY the light of the 4th WAN (the power light is not even on) connection is on, even when nothing is connected to it. I've tried to reboot, I've tried to reset, I've tried to reinstall the original Asus software but impossible. No matter how long I will hold the reset button, the ONLY light on still is the 4th WAN. I can't reinstall because I can't put the router on the right mode to install something in it. Anyone with an idea?

I've had two 2018 China AC86Us die with a half-lit LAN4 LED. I did not remove the serial no.s and dump them on eBay.

OE

As long as you installed AC86U beta and you have an AC86U router, you didn't make a mistake. So it isn't a firmware issue. Factory reset or Asus Recovery should bring it back, unless you powered off during firmware flash or the router itself is dead/dying. I think @OzarkEdge has the issue pegged - LAN4 LED is a key tell. Return to the ebay seller or claim to ebay guarantee. If filling with ebay, I'd make sure to note that the SN was removed.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!