What's new

Installed Merlin firmware and now the lan port is limited

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Nicenoodles

Occasional Visitor
Hi, i just installed merlin on my AX56U, and for some reason, it limited the speed of my lan port, it shows at just 100mbps, i did the speedtest embedded into the firmware and it gives back the same i have for the ISP (400mbps).

I tried looking for something that might be causing this but i couldn't find anything, would love to have some help here.

Thanks,

Have you powered the router off and on again since installing Merlin?

If that doesn't/didn't work try performing a factory reset if you haven't already done so.

Well, before the reset, i tried connect the cable to another port, and if i connect it to port 4, it indicates the port as a 1 gbps port and speed is fine.

Still worth doing the reset to see if it will sort out the other port. Also worth doing a visual inspection to make sure that port isn't dirty or damaged.

Hi, i just installed merlin on my AX56U, and for some reason, it limited the speed of my lan port, it shows at just 100mbps, i did the speedtest embedded into the firmware and it gives back the same i have for the ISP (400mbps).

I tried looking for something that might be causing this but i couldn't find anything, would love to have some help here.

Thanks,
make sure you do not have any special QoS enabled, AI-Protect, or accepted any privacy disclaimers. then run your speed test, also make sure you are using an up to date ethernet cable when connecting your router to your modem, and lan devices to router. if you are using a switch, be sure to fully power off the switch and then power it back on. make sure to reconnect ethernet cables as well.

Still worth doing the reset to see if it will sort out the other port. Also worth doing a visual inspection to make sure that port isn't dirty or damaged.
make sure you do not have any special QoS enabled, AI-Protect, or accepted any privacy disclaimers. then run your speed test, also make sure you are using an up to date ethernet cable when connecting your router to your modem, and lan devices to router. if you are using a switch, be sure to fully power off the switch and then power it back on. make sure to reconnect ethernet cables as well.

Did the reset, still the same, capped at 100mbps, is there something other than hardware causing this? I don't have any Qos enabled, anything, even more now with the reset (i did the reset through the Administration menu, is that the same as pressing the small button?)

It could be a firmware bug with that particular model. Have you tried the other ports? Is it just one port that's effected? Does that same thing happen with stock firmware?

It could be a firmware bug with that particular model. Have you tried the other ports? Is it just one port that's effected? Does that same thing happen with stock firmware?
I haven't used the merlin, the reset i did was with the stock firmware, i found out people online with the same problem and it seems it can be faulty hardware. And yes it's only with port 1, the other's are all working as gigabit.

It might be worth trying firmware version 3.0.0.4.384.10290 just in case it's a bug in the 386 code base.

It might be worth trying firmware version 3.0.0.4.384.10290 just in case it's a bug in the 386 code base.
My only question is the Lan port having issues with any device or is it only one specific device. I had an issue where I had a faulty switch connected to the Lan port . It caused the port to only work at a rate of 100. Maybe this is not the router.

The firmware i indicated was release just today, so these days i've been using it with the 384 fw.

My only question is the Lan port having issues with any device or is it only one specific device. I had an issue where I had a faulty switch connected to the Lan port . It caused the port to only work at a rate of 100. Maybe this is not the router.
I do have a switch, but why would it work with ports 2-4 and not with port 1?

The firmware i indicated was release just today, so these days i've been using it with the 384 fw.

I do have a switch, but why would it work with ports 2-4 and not with port 1?
Three possible reasons, faulty switch, faulty cable, or faulty port. You should test a different device on port 1 with a different cable to eliminate it being the router or not.

Some times a device on a switch can be causing the issue as well. I have seen on unmanaged switches where a device had gone into power saving mode making all the ports read at 100mbps. This in turn made the router port read at 100mbps as well.

Some times a device on a switch can be causing the issue as well. I have seen on unmanaged switches where a device had gone into power saving mode making all the ports read at 100mbps. This in turn made the router port read at 100mbps as well.
The solution to this was I had to unplug all devices from the switch and I had to power off/on the switch. This is what i had to do to get the switch out of the dead lock it was stuck in. Then the router properly reported the 1gbps.

The solution to this was I had to unplug all devices from the switch and I had to power off/on the switch. This is what i had to do to get the switch out of the dead lock it was stuck in. Then the router properly reported the 1gbps.
I did the testing and it seems that indeed it is the switch, kind of strange to me that i decides to cap the connection only on port 1. I did what you said and it worked, installed merlin back and everything is working as it should, thanks to everyone and sorry for the mess, i just don't understand why the switch would do this, this was probably due to another router i have connected to it working as an ap that isn't gigabit.

Quick question tho, if i change the settings on my ovpn server, for example, change the access from local, to internet, do i need to download the profile again?

Last edited: