What's new

Installing SFTP on N66U with WAN access?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

szary

New Around Here
I've recently bought a N66U router (so I'm relatively new to this) and have Asuswrt-Merlin installed on in. I have some experience with linux but my knowledge it's quite basic I suppose. Anyways I would like to install SFTP on my router with WAN access. As for my network setup. I'm behind NAT but with two TCP ports available from outside. I'm already using one for Transmission and I would like to use second one for SFTP and SSH (if it's possible, but SFTP is more important for me). SSH works fine but I was unable to install SFTP on the router and I'm not even sure if it's possible to do so with network limitations that I have.

Can anybody guide me how to install SFTP on my N66U?

Many thanks

Thank you for answering. I already tried this, but when connecting from outside using fillzilla I'm getting this:

Host: sftp://x

Command: open "x@x" 50205
Command: Pass: *********
Error: Connection closed by server with exitcode 127
Error: Could not connect to server

Maybe I should configure sftp server to use my specific port? Or maybe sftp "inherits" port from ssh? If I should setup port for sftp separately, then - I don't know how :) SSH works fine on WAN on this port.

Many thanks

Are you able to connect from lan with filezilla sftp?

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 2

Check router logs (tmp/syslog.txt for starter) for any additional info as to what might have gone wrong.

From lan (two connection attempts):
Sep 13 19:33:19 dropbear[1057]: Child connection from 192.168.1.135:50118
Sep 13 19:33:20 dropbear[1057]: Password auth succeeded for 'admin' from 192.168.1.135:50118
Sep 13 19:33:20 dropbear[1057]: Exit (admin): Exited normally
Sep 13 19:33:25 dropbear[1060]: Child connection from 192.168.1.135:50122
Sep 13 19:33:27 dropbear[1060]: Password auth succeeded for 'admin' from 192.168.1.135:50122
Sep 13 19:33:27 dropbear[1060]: Exit (admin): Exited normally

That's it...

I get password error, Merlin maybe when you have some free time please look in to this issue

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 2

According to your log, dropbear is answering your query rather than openssh. You can't run both at the same time since they will both try to use port 23 by default. Disable dropbear, or at least move it to a different port.

You will need to also open port 23 in the INPUT chain if you want to make it accessible from the outside.

hey.
You managed to invent something? I have exactly the same (Connection closed by server with EXITCODE 127). I changed ports, I checked a variety of clients (Filezilla, WinSCP) and still the same thing: (
it was checking installing SSH key authentication (prv-client, pub-asus)
Iptables redirect something? If so, how?

Last edited:
I didn't managed to make it work but I'm using winscp with scp file protocol and it's ok.

I checked. By SCP works fine :)
Thank you.
How to check all four services running on the router?
check the application for android and I do not see Fing sftp?
I have:
-ftp: 21
-ssh: 22
.. etc

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!