1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Featured Intel Once Again Exits The Wi-Fi AP/Router Biz

Discussion in 'General Wireless Discussion' started by thiggins, Apr 28, 2020.

Tags:
  1. System Error Message

System Error Message Part of the Furniture

i've had a realtek USB-C gigabit ethernet adapter crash a network :p, it is that bad. on paper realtek looks great, but when using it its terrible.

That said its important to understand where each brand flaws. intel has bugs in its wifi drivers that makes it unable to connect after sleep or that drops out sometimes. on my laptop there is a broadcom based wifi and NIC (its branded with gaming names but im pretty sure its broadcom) and isnt very stable as it disconnects at times at low traffic for wifi (NIC is decent) whereas broadcom used to be stable as the signal isnt great (something qualcomm is good at). qualcomm used to be less stable than broadcom in wifi connectivity but better signals though intel had broadcom level stability with bugs but faster than broadcom.

Realtek NICs are great for low latency, on the consumer end, realtek has the lowest latency of any NIC at an unbeatable price, however they simply dump all the processing onto the CPU, its how realtek reduces latency and cost by simply having less electronics to deal with in the first place and this approach does work as long as there is CPU to spare.

L&LD and avtella like this.
  2. unmesh

unmesh Occasional Visitor

I have a Comfast with the same Realtek chip and did not see a material improvement. It has an internal antenna compared to the Asus, though, which may explain the difference.

3. System Error Message

when i tested i had the router very near the adapter. so its more of ideal conditions, its how i arrived to the typical 50-60% of wifi AC link bandwidth being practical.

4. Mordred

Mordred Regular Contributor

Dogsh*t. Once you are doing serious virtualization you don't use intel. You go mellanox. No wonder nvidia just bought mellanox.
    Melanox 40/100G blows away intel. Intel is OK for 1 and 10G, but that's it.

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2020
    L&LD likes this.
  5. System Error Message

quite different really. Melanox takes the developer approach (you can code with the card), whereas intel doesnt. Different directions.

I have a non working older melanox card :'(