What's new

Intel WiFi 5300, is it able to utilize both 2.4GHz and 5.0GHz at the same time?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RamGuy

Hi,

I've read that one of the major differences between the Intel WiFi 5300 NIC and the Intel WiFi 5100 NIC / Intel WiFi 4965AGN NIC is that the 5300 somehow manages to utilize the 2.4GHz and the 5.0GHz band at the same time?

Making it possible to reach 450mbps if you have a wireless router like the Netgear WNDR3700, the D-Link DIR-855 or the Linksys WRT610N featuring the possibility of hosting / broadcasting on the 2.4GHz and the 5.0GHz band simultaneously / at the same time?

After my understating (I don't role out the possibility that I'm terribly mistaken) you can reach 450mbps throughput by accessing / using the 2.4GHz and 5.0GHz band simultaneously between the wireless NIC and the router?

But I can't seem to figure out how on earth I can force my Intel WiFi 5300 NIC to actually connect to both bands at the same time? I see both the 2.4GHz and the 5.0GHz from my WNDR3700, but I'm only able to connect to either the 2.4GHz or the 5.0GHz stream, not both at the same time?

Might it be that the Intel WiFi 5300 isn't able to utilize both bands at the same time after all? Have I mistaken how the whole reach 450mbps thing is supposed to work? Is there any way, any routers and NICs out there making 450mbps possible? How is the new Intel WiFi 6400 "Ultimate-N" compared to the Intel WiFi 5300?

The 5300 can run at up to three streams (450 Mbps), but only on one band at a time. To take advantage of three stream operation, the radio on the other end must also be three-stream capable. D-Link's upcoming DIR-665 is one such device.

Not aware of a 6400. Highest I've seen is the Centrino 6300, which is also 450 Mbps.

Not enough 450 Mbps devices out there to distinguish between specific hardware (chipset, implementation)/software (firmware, drivers) and unencumbered throughput. You can be reasonably sure it's far less than 450 Mbps though.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!