What's new

Intermittent 5GHz connection issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Simbo

New Around Here
Hi All,

First post here!

I recently purchased an ASUS RT-AX86U Pro and RP-AX58 so my son has better Wi-Fi connection in his upstairs bedroom. My son’s Xbox is the only device bound to the RP-AX58 and is also the only device using 5GHz and it has completely cleared up the lag he was experiencing on my old router.

However his Xbox is experiencing connection issues whenever it is switched on. Sometimes it will take 30 secs to 1 minute to connect to Wi-Fi, other times it won’t connect at all. Even going into the settings to re-enter the password sometimes doesn’t work despite the password being correct. It can take anywhere from 2 to 20 attempts at putting the password in before it will connect to 5GHz. 2.4GHz works flawlessly but he experiences lag on this frequency.

I’m convinced it can be fixed with a router setting but being a relative novice I’m not really sure what to try.

Any help would be much appreciated.

do you have good wi-fi signal between AX86U and RT-AX58 - for reaper to work good it need to have good wi-fi strength connection with main router. If it is possible try to move it closer to main router and check then Xbox operation. 2.4GHz wi-fi have better range than 5GHz and this could be an issue.

additional AX86U have very good wi-fi range please try conenct XBox directly via 2.4 and 5GHz if you have range form main router - 2.4Ghz transfer is enough for Xbox.

Hi All,

First post here!

I recently purchased an ASUS RT-AX86U Pro and RP-AX58 so my son has better Wi-Fi connection in his upstairs bedroom. My son’s Xbox is the only device bound to the RP-AX58 and is also the only device using 5GHz and it has completely cleared up the lag he was experiencing on my old router.

However his Xbox is experiencing connection issues whenever it is switched on. Sometimes it will take 30 secs to 1 minute to connect to Wi-Fi, other times it won’t connect at all. Even going into the settings to re-enter the password sometimes doesn’t work despite the password being correct. It can take anywhere from 2 to 20 attempts at putting the password in before it will connect to 5GHz. 2.4GHz works flawlessly but he experiences lag on this frequency.

I’m convinced it can be fixed with a router setting but being a relative novice I’m not really sure what to try.

How far apart are the two nodes? Perhaps the second node is too much WiFi. Having to bind clients to nodes suggests this... that the client may have two strong signals to choose from... best to have only one obviously stronger signal to connect to.

Are you using 160MHz bandwidth? This can require radio spectrum that is subject to DFS by the router... router delays WLAN startup until all DFS frequencies are determined to be clear of RADAR... clients cannot connect until the router begins broadcasting, which can take minutes. A WiFi analyzer app on a mobile device can help you to see this delay before the signals show up. And if RADAR arrives, the router will vacate those frequencies and setup the signal elsewhere, which can disrupt all wireless client connections. Try using a non-DFS control channel and 80MHz bandwidth to remove DFS affects from the equation.

OE

Last edited:
Hi All,

First post here!

As @OzarkEdge mentioned, sounds like DFS delay. Go into the router, disable 160mhz (20/40/80 without 160 checked off and uncheck DFS channel option if it isn't already). That should eliminate any startup delays on 5ghz. Leave the channel selection set to auto. Those settings will avoid DFS channels and eliminate the regulatory mandated startup delay.

Well it’s now been 3 days and it seems to have cured the problem.

DFS channels were already off but I changed 2 channel settings (control channel + another I can’t remember) to auto and my son’s Xbox is connecting as soon as it is switched on.

Thanks for your help!

Well it’s now been 3 days and it seems to have cured the problem.

DFS channels were already off but I changed 2 channel settings (control channel + another I can’t remember) to auto and my son’s Xbox is connecting as soon as it is switched on.

Thanks for your help!

The disabling DFS channels does not do anything when you use 160mhz channel width. That has to use DFS. The only difference when you have that unchecked in 160mhz mode is the router will choose a control channel in non-dfs space but extension channels within it. That does nothing, you still end up with DFS delay.

With 160mhz disabled (20/40/80 only), DFS unchecked, and auto channel, you should be good.