What's new

Intermittent DNS failures

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Just for reference: I updated to 386.5_2 and still same issue. I have not factory reset yet.

What is supposed to write the assigned DHCP hosts to /etc /hosts? Is that dnsmasq's job?

I see it only does that to static entries in NVRAM. How does dnsmasq handle static hosts defined in dnsmasq.conf?

How can we dump dnsmasq's dns records?

I'm baffled as to how both dnsmasq and services.c could both be failing in their own different ways that coincidentally prevents local name resolution. There's something more going on, but I just can't figure it out.

How can we dump dnsmasq's dns records?

I'm baffled as to how both dnsmasq and services.c could both be failing in their own different ways that coincidentally prevents local name resolution. There's something more going on, but I just can't figure it out.
Do a factory reset first to establish a baseline.

Then I'm afraid I'll loose the current state. I may not be able to recreate it for troubleshooting.

Then I'm afraid I'll loose the current state. I may not be able to recreate it for troubleshooting.
Just for grins, run the mount command and look for any bind mounts with resolv.conf. DNSCrypt-proxy installer does some unusual things that may linger after uninstall.

Like this?

Code:
ubi:rootfs_ubifs on /tmp/resolv.conf type ubifs (ro,relatime)

Like this?

Code:
Yeah. run umount /tmp/resolv.conf two or more times. See if it changes anything.

That fixed it. At first it didn't, but I noticed that the client was no longer in the DHCP list so I forced it to renew and everything's working.

That fixed it. At first it didn't, but I noticed that the client was no longer in the DHCP list so I forced it to renew and everything's working.
That’s good news and frustrating news simultaneously.

I too am getting intermittent DNS failures with a similar setup. What ended up fixing it, I want to avoid factory resetting myself.

Still seeing the intermittent failures on random domains, even though the LAN name issue is resolved. Not sure how to track it down because it's so transitory. By the time I can open a console to get better output it's already resolved itself.

I am noticing that the errors sporadically happen even seconds after a name is resolved. For example, I can visit foo.com and the page loads successfully. That means foo.com was successfully resolved. 5 seconds later I can click a link on foo.com that leads to foo.com/page.html and get the NXDOMAIN error. Perhaps I'm wrong, but that strongly suggests a DNS cache issue to me.

I thought perhaps it was Windows DNS cache, but there are reports of the same issue with Mac users so I suspect it's at the router. Any ideas on debugging that possibility?

Did you ever figure this out? Did you end up trying factory reset - and if so, did it work? I'm having a similar issue that's driving me crazy!