What's new

Internet detected as down, but router does nothing to try and fix it?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JDB

Very Senior Member
So I just got an alert from my monitoring that a remote site had gone offline (RT-AC5300 running 386.4 - I saw the mention of a possible fix for my issue in 386.5 Beta but doesn't seem applicable as no IPv6 enabled). I drive out there, router's Web UI says the internet is disconnected, and given the timing it went down (8 mins after midnight) I'm thinking maybe ISP maintenance.

In the logs I see "Feb 22 00:08:47 WAN_Connection: Fail to connect with some issues."

My questions are;
1. What are these 'issues' - can this debug be made any more descriptive? I had WAN internet detection set to DNS Probes so I'm assume they failed, but be nice if it said that vs it found some other issue (PPP session was disconnected from the far end say).
2. Why isn't the router trying to fix the issue? It's a PPPoE connection, so it could try bouncing the PPP session.

In the end I turned the WAN off/on in the UI, so basically bouncing the PPP session and it fixed it.

I've switched WAN Internet detection to PPP Echo now to see if that helps in forcing a PPP restart should it happen again.
I also enabled the Network Monitoring Ping tests under Administration-System settings - these claim to monitor internet status - kinda odd to have WAN and Admin settings for the same thing and no idea how they interact (given the WAN monitoring apparently does nothing anyway I guess they won't!).

Question 3. I don't have a wan-event script in place, but I presume if I did, it would have fired with a disconnected status, and I could have had it attempt a PPP restart with 'service restart_wan'?

Problem is you want it to periodically do this until it's fixed which would be trickier to do?
I presume you'd get a wan-event 'connecting' after triggering the restart, that could intern start a timer which did ping test to google 1 min later and triggered another restart if no joy I suppose. Starts getting kludgy though when really the router should just be doing it itself.

There are a number of threads I've seen that use a script to cycle things as appropriate. Temporarily, you could also look at either just cycling on a schedule "just in case" as it should only take a few seconds say every hour or two or schedule a reboot. It could save you driving out there until something more substantial comes along.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!