What's new

internet disconnections (because HDD?)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

happlevy

New Around Here
Hi,
I have an internet disconnections and I suspect that it caused because of an HDD (formatted to NTFS) that is connected to the router in USB 3.0
Does this make sense, does any one else encounter internet disconnection because of devices connected to the USB router?

P.S
I suspect that This problem stared when I updated the router (AX92U) firmware (3.0.0.4.386_46061)

Thanks

Hi,
I have an internet disconnections and I suspect that it caused because of an HDD (formatted to NTFS) that is connected to the router in USB 3.0
Does this make sense, does any one else encounter internet disconnection because of devices connected to the USB router?

P.S
I suspect that This problem stared when I updated the router (AX92U) firmware (3.0.0.4.386_46061)

Thanks

Explain "internet disconnection". For me, it means the router is losing its WAN connection as seen in the router webUI Internet Status and General Log.

OE

Last edited:
I previously used a usb connected SSD on an Asus router. It was usb 3.0 capable, and when I configured that in the router’s interface, the signal through the usb cable greatly interfered with some wifi connections… which gave the appearance of internet connectivity problems. I configured the router’s interface back to usb 2.0, the problems disappeared

Last edited:
I previously used a usb connected SSD on an Asus router. It was usb 3.0 capable, and when I configured for that it greatly interfered with some wifi connections…

... 2.4 GHz WiFi connections in particular, yes?

OE

Explain "internet disconnection". For me, it means the router is losing its WAN connection as seen in the router webUI Internet Status and General Log.

OE
exactly
the router is losing its WAN connection
can it caused because of an HDD?
there is a way to know, if the drive is disconnecting?

TNX!!!

It was discussed before. Routers with 512MB RAM suffer with stressed USB use. I tested myself few different models. Large transfer with multiple small files (like PC backup) kills the router in 10min. It may drop both WAN and Wi-Fi. USB 3.0 transfers kill it faster. USB 2.0 mode may last longer.

here is a way to know, if the drive is disconnecting?

You could remove the HDD and monitor the WAN connection.

How much data is stored (indexed?) on the HDD? Have you reset the router firmware recently?... it's interesting that the issue may have arrived with a firmware update.

OE

Last edited:
Yes. If you do large transfers, the router runs out of RAM and kills services. USB is for light file shares only, not a NAS.
Hi, this HDD is for backups that performed successfully, it was running smoothly for a year without disconnections.
I'm not sure if that was due to the firmware update, but the disconnection appears around that time.
I disconnected the HDD for a full day and the internet was stable, I connected the HDD again and the disconnection returned.

Thanks

You could remove the HDD and monitor the WAN connection.

How much data is stored (indexed?) on the HDD? Have you reset the router firmware recently?... it's interesting that the issue may have arrived with a firmware update.

OE
I am not sure about that, this is an only a suspicious

Hi, this HDD is for backups that performed successfully, it was running smoothly for a year without disconnections.

The volume/contents of your backups perhaps changed just enough to trigger the condition. I can replicate the issue every single time with 10-15GB file transfer with few thousand different size files. Your RAM utilization jumps steady to 98%, the file transfers start going and dropping to zero followed by unstable router. You can monitor it and see for yourself. You end up with WAN or Wi-Fi disconnection at the end. Routers with 1GB RAM hold better.

from log:

Mar 7 20:39:03 kernel: tntfs error (device sda1, pid 12325): ntfs_prepare_pages_for_non_resident_write(): Failed (error 5).
Mar 7 20:39:08 kernel: __ntfs_error: 913 callbacks suppressed
Mar 7 20:39:08 kernel: tntfs error (device sda1, pid 12325): ntfs_prepare_pages_for_non_resident_write(): Failed (error 5).

Mar 7 20:39:15 kernel: __ntfs_error: 426 callbacks suppressed
Mar 7 20:39:15 kernel: tntfs error (device sda1, pid 12325): ntfs_prepare_pages_for_non_resident_write(): Failed (error 5).

Mar 7 20:39:28 kernel: __ntfs_error: 123 callbacks suppressed
Mar 7 20:39:28 kernel: tntfs error (device sda1, pid 12325): ntfs_prepare_pages_for_non_resident_write(): Failed (error 5).

Mar 7 20:39:31 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(508): eth7: Disassoc 16:73:09:8F:1F:5D, status: 0, reason: Disassociated because sending station is leaving (or has left) BSS (8), rssi:0
Mar 7 20:39:31 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(508): eth7: Disassoc 16:73:09:8F:1F:5D, status: 0, reason: Disassociated because sending station is leaving (or has left) BSS (8), rssi:0
Mar 7 20:39:33 kernel: __ntfs_error: 53 callbacks suppressed
Mar 7 20:39:33 kernel: tntfs error (device sda1, pid 12325): ntfs_prepare_pages_for_non_resident_write(): Failed (error 5).

Mar 7 20:39:38 kernel: __ntfs_error: 78 callbacks suppressed
Mar 7 20:39:38 kernel: tntfs error (device sda1, pid 12325): ntfs_prepare_pages_for_non_resident_write(): Failed (error 5).

Mar 7 20:39:43 kernel: __ntfs_error: 83 callbacks suppressed
Mar 7 20:39:43 kernel: tntfs error (device sda1, pid 12325): ntfs_prepare_pages_for_non_resident_write(): Failed (error 5).

Mar 7 20:39:48 kernel: __ntfs_error: 56 callbacks suppressed
Mar 7 20:39:48 kernel: tntfs error (device sda1, pid 12325): ntfs_prepare_pages_for_non_resident_write(): Failed (error 5).

Mar 7 20:39:53 kernel: __ntfs_error: 63 callbacks suppressed
Mar 7 20:39:53 kernel: tntfs error (device sda1, pid 12325): ntfs_prepare_pages_for_non_resident_write(): Failed (error 5).

Mar 7 20:39:59 kernel: __ntfs_error: 97 callbacks suppressed
Mar 7 20:39:59 kernel: tntfs error (device sda1, pid 12325): ntfs_prepare_pages_for_non_resident_write(): Failed (error 5).

Mar 7 20:40:04 kernel: __ntfs_error: 66 callbacks suppressed
Mar 7 20:40:04 kernel: tntfs error (device sda1, pid 12325): ntfs_prepare_pages_for_non_resident_write(): Failed (error 5).

Mar 7 20:40:09 kernel: __ntfs_error: 58 callbacks suppressed
Mar 7 20:40:09 kernel: tntfs error (device sda1, pid 12325): ntfs_prepare_pages_for_non_resident_write(): Failed (error 5).

Mar 7 20:40:14 kernel: __ntfs_error: 87 callbacks suppressed
Mar 7 20:40:14 kernel: tntfs error (device sda1, pid 12325): ntfs_prepare_pages_for_non_resident_write(): Failed (error 5).

Mar 7 20:40:19 kernel: __ntfs_error: 55 callbacks suppressed
Mar 7 20:40:19 kernel: tntfs error (device sda1, pid 12325): ntfs_prepare_pages_for_non_resident_write(): Failed (error 5).

Mar 7 20:40:24 kernel: __ntfs_error: 49 callbacks suppressed
Mar 7 20:40:24 kernel: tntfs error (device sda1, pid 12325): ntfs_prepare_pages_for_non_resident_write(): Failed (error 5).

Mar 7 20:40:30 kernel: __ntfs_error: 123 callbacks suppressed
Mar 7 20:40:30 kernel: tntfs error (device sda1, pid 12325): ntfs_prepare_pages_for_non_resident_write(): Failed (error 5).

Mar 7 20:40:35 kernel: __ntfs_error: 665 callbacks suppressed
Mar 7 20:40:35 kernel: tntfs error (device sda1, pid 12325): ntfs_prepare_pages_for_non_resident_write(): Failed (error 5).

Mar 7 20:40:40 kernel: __ntfs_error: 400 callbacks suppressed
Mar 7 20:40:40 kernel: tntfs error (device sda1, pid 12325): ntfs_prepare_pages_for_non_resident_write(): Failed (error 5).

Mar 7 20:40:45 kernel: __ntfs_error: 235 callbacks suppressed
Mar 7 20:40:45 kernel: tntfs error (device sda1, pid 12325): ntfs_prepare_pages_for_non_resident_write(): Failed (error 5).

Mar 7 20:40:45 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(527): eth7: Auth 16:73:09:8F:1F:5D, status: Successful (0), rssi:0
Mar 7 20:40:45 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(556): eth7: Assoc 16:73:09:8F:1F:5D, status: Successful (0), rssi:-54
Mar 7 20:40:50 kernel: __ntfs_error: 234 callbacks suppressed
Mar 7 20:40:50 kernel: tntfs error (device sda1, pid 12325): ntfs_prepare_pages_for_non_resident_write(): Failed (error 5).

Mar 7 20:40:50 kernel: tntfs error (device sda1, pid 12325): ntfs_prepare_pages_for_non_resident_write(): Failed (error 5).

Tnx

You have NTFS file system errors. Unplug the HDD and run chkdsk on a PC. If this HDD is used for the router only, better use more native ext4 file system. This won't solve low RAM conditions with big file transfers though and you may run into similar router stability issues later on. Depending on how critical the data backup is, consider getting a real NAS. People realize using router as NAS is a bad idea only after they lose data.

You have NTFS file system errors. Unplug the HDD and run chkdsk on a PC. If this HDD is used for the router only, better use more native ext4 file system. This won't solve low RAM conditions with big file transfers though and you may run into similar router stability issues later on. Depending on how critical the data backup is, consider getting a real NAS. People realize using router as NAS is a bad idea only after they lose data.

Thank you
I ran chkdsk and there are still disconnections,
the disconnections also happen that the drive does not back up
(it is connected to the router and the computer is turned off)
What can happen to this change? It worked great over a year

p.s

The memory used by the router is 94-92 percent
Is there a way to know what a lot of memory needs?

(Without the HDD the memory stands at 90-92 percent)

Get yourself a dedicated NAS server and connect that to your router.

I think the consumer equivelents are called media centers or media servers.

I will admit to knowing nothing about the consumer varients as i use old HP enterprise servers for tasks such as this. However, if I was in the market for one, I'd be interested if the server part was accesable and allowed us to install services such as plex.

If they are in fact locked down, better to get yourself an old enterprise server and stick some hard drives in it. They are cheap as chips and work brilliantly.

My HP DL380 was £300 on eBay. It does everything from controlling the heating to mining crypto currency, transcoding media, performing backtesting functions, building machine learning models not to mention running live crypto currency trading bots. Not bad for a 15 year old hand me down. Just make sure you get a Xeon CPU with lots of cores.

The AX92u has 512MB which is just enough to perform it's primary task. Asking it to be a NAS as well is too much.

Last edited: