What's new

Internet dropouts in 2x RT-AX55

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wesseb

New Around Here
Hi everyone,

I could use some assistance with an unusual issue I've been encountering.

I've been having problems with my internet connection lately, experiencing random dropouts. These dropouts are quite peculiar. For instance, while I'm engaged in a voice chat and participating in a multiplayer session, I occasionally experience a dropout. During these instances, I can hear other people clearly and follow their conversation, but they can't hear me when I try to communicate. After a short while, everything returns to normal, and they can hear me again. Simultaneously, the game session also experiences disruptions.

This issue seems to arise approximately every 10-15 minutes.

My setup involves two Asus RT-AX55 routers. My PC is connected to the AIMesh Node router via an Ethernet cable, while the second RT-AX55 is connected to the modem.

Could anyone shed light on why this might be happening? Would it be advisable for me to provide Wireshark logs when these dropouts occur?

Thanks for your assistance.

Hi everyone,

I've been having problems with my internet connection lately, experiencing random dropouts. These dropouts are quite peculiar. For instance, while I'm engaged in a voice chat and participating in a multiplayer session, I occasionally experience a dropout. During these instances, I can hear other people clearly and follow their conversation, but they can't hear me when I try to communicate. After a short while, everything returns to normal, and they can hear me again. Simultaneously, the game session also experiences disruptions.

My setup involves two Asus RT-AX55 routers. My PC is connected to the AIMesh Node router via an Ethernet cable, while the second RT-AX55 is connected to the modem.

Could anyone shed light on why this might be happening? Would it be advisable for me to provide Wireshark logs when these dropouts occur?

Dropouts like this are often caused by a a bad ethernet cord. Worth a try at least..

Hi everyone,

Is the AiMesh node using a wireless backhaul to the main router?

What's the protocol of the voice comms that dropout? Perhaps disable any SIP Passthrough setting in the router WAN configuration.

Have you tested your PC wired to the main router?

What are other examples of the 'Internet' dropouts you experience?

OE

Last edited:
experiencing random dropouts

Use fixed Wi-Fi channels instead of Auto, non-DFS range for 5GHz band. Update the firmware - there is a new one available from Aug 07, 2023.

Hi everyone,

Thank you for the provided information.

Dropouts like this are often caused by a a bad ethernet cord. Worth a try at least..

I'm planning to replace the Ethernet cords in both my main router and AiMesh node to see if this improves the situation.

Is the AiMesh node using a wireless backhaul to the main router?

What's the protocol of the voice comms that dropout? Perhaps disable any SIP Passthrough setting in the router WAN configuration.

Have you tested your PC wired to the main router?

What are other examples of the 'Internet' dropouts you experience?

OE

Indeed, the AiMesh node is connected via a wireless backhaul to the main router.

From my understanding, Discord utilizes a UDP connection for its voice protocol. However, I've observed that when these dropouts occur, it also leads to blocked website browsing.

While I haven't yet tested a wired connection for my PC to the main router, I've noticed that my TV, which is connected through a wired connection, appears to function without any issues even during these dropout episodes.

Reiterating my earlier point, the interruptions are affecting internet browsing, my ability to hear others on Discord while they can't hear me, and causing disconnections in multiplayer gaming sessions.

Use fixed Wi-Fi channels instead of Auto, non-DFS range for 5GHz band. Update the firmware - there is a new one available from Aug 07, 2023.
I've already taken measures to manually set the Wi-Fi channel based on a scan for the best option. Additionally, I've ensured the use of the non-DFS range and updated the firmware.

Thank you once again!

I would reset the routers to default and start fresh with minimum configuration. Don't trust Wi-Fi analyzer type apps. Test the channels 36-48 and 149-161. Check your local Wi-Fi regulations. In many countries lower and higher channels have different max Tx power restrictions.

I would reset the routers to default and start fresh with minimum configuration. Don't trust Wi-Fi analyzer type apps. Test the channels 36-48 and 149-161. Check your local Wi-Fi regulations. In many countries lower and higher channels have different max Tx power restrictions.
Hello Tech9,

Thank you for the information you provided. I reset both of my routers and used the default configuration, but it appears that the problem is still persisting.

I created a Wireshark log that captured the dropout and I can see that there were somekind of informations about TCP Retransmission.

I can provide this log if it will be needed.

Thanks

Indeed, the AiMesh node is connected via a wireless backhaul to the main router.

Did everything work well previously with the same equipment or was something changed?

If trouble with the wireless/backhaul, I would expect the traffic to fail in both directions... does the one-way VoIP audio trouble occur without the browsing trouble?... when browsing trouble, do you lose the game/audio in both directions... lose the WAN/Internet connection?

I'd still try disabling WAN\SIP Passthrough in the router webUI... and reboot... SIP ALGs in routers are known to cause one-way audio.

From my understanding, Discord utilizes a UDP connection for its voice protocol. However, I've observed that when these dropouts occur, it also leads to blocked website browsing.

Losing WAN/Internet access would disrupt both game/audio and web browsing... not just one-way VoIP audio... so your 'leads to' observation may need more troubleshooting/granularity.

While I haven't yet tested a wired connection for my PC to the main router, I've noticed that my TV, which is connected through a wired connection, appears to function without any issues even during these dropout episodes.

TV wired to main router does not dropout during this trouble?

Reiterating my earlier point, the interruptions are affecting internet browsing, my ability to hear others on Discord while they can't hear me, and causing disconnections in multiplayer gaming sessions.

What is your Internet service type and on-premise equipment connected to your router WAN?

Is your microphone cordless?

Are you surrounded by many other WiFi networks?

OE

Last edited:
but it appears that the problem is still persisting

I would unplug the second router temporarily and test with one router only. It will show where the problem is - in the Main router or something around AiMesh. From there - trial and error troubleshooting. This router is unpopular around here and not much of experience with it.

Wireless/Bluetooth headset/keyboard/mouse?
[/tangent]

Simply move your routers closer. Even a few inches may be enough to transform your network.

Did everything work well previously with the same equipment or was something changed?

If trouble with the wireless/backhaul, I would expect the traffic to fail in both directions... does the one-way VoIP audio trouble occur without the browsing trouble?... when browsing trouble, do you lose the game/audio in both directions... lose the WAN/Internet connection?

I'd still try disabling WAN\SIP Passthrough in the router webUI... and reboot... SIP ALGs in routers are known to cause one-way audio.

Losing WAN/Internet access would disrupt both game/audio and web browsing... not just one-way VoIP audio... so your 'leads to' observation may need more troubleshooting/granularity.

TV wired to main router does not dropout during this trouble?

What is your Internet service type and on-premise equipment connected to your router WAN?

Is your microphone cordless?

Are you surrounded by many other WiFi networks?

OE

Thank you all for your thoughts and responses.

The issue began when I created an AiMesh connection between two routers. Previously, I only had one router connected in the master bedroom, and all devices were wirelessly connected to it. After making the change, I connected my PC to the second router using an Ethernet cable and divided the devices between the two routers.

Regarding the wireless backhaul connection, I'm attaching a report from Wireshark. Hopefully, it will provide some insight into what's happening, as the situation is currently unclear to me.

I attempted to disable SIP Passthrough, but unfortunately, the connection dropouts are still occurring.

The TV is connected via a wired connection to the main router and is functioning correctly.

My ISP provided me with a modem that uses a Signal Copper Cable. This modem is connected to the main router. I followed the suggestion of changing the Ethernet cable, as recommended by @scottyrick, but it did not resolve the issue.

Yes, my headset is connected via a dongle, which likely utilizes a Wi-Fi signal rather than Bluetooth. However, these dropouts were occurring even before this change.

Although I am surrounded by numerous other Wi-Fi networks, I have managed to locate an available channel in the 5GHz network. The situation is a bit worse for the 2.4GHz network, but I can still find a usable channel.

I would unplug the second router temporarily and test with one router only. It will show where the problem is - in the Main router or something around AiMesh. From there - trial and error troubleshooting. This router is unpopular around here and not much of experience with it.

I will attempt to connect my PC directly to the main router and conduct a test. However, as I mentioned earlier, the TV is already connected to the main router and appears to be functioning without any problems.

Wireless/Bluetooth headset/keyboard/mouse?
[/tangent]

Only headphones

Simply move your routers closer. Even a few inches may be enough to transform your network.

I tried that approach, but unfortunately, it did not yield any positive results.

Could it be possible that having two identical routers might be causing a weakness in the AiMesh network?

Thanks again

Attachments

• 2023-08-24 20_54_35-Przechwytywanie z Ethernet.png
    2023-08-24 20_54_35-Przechwytywanie z Ethernet.png
    194.5 KB · Views: 31
  • 2023-08-27 13_36_57-_Ethernet.png
    2023-08-27 13_36_57-_Ethernet.png
    384.6 KB · Views: 31