What's new

IOS 17 update brings ads on Diversion

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

spicynujac

New Around Here
Running latest diversion 4.3.3
Diversion successfully blocking all ads (except youtube) over the past year.
Just updated from ios 16 to 17 and Google ads are showing on several pages.
Checked my desktop and the ads do not appear--only on the ipad.
Example is a card game website like

I do not have private relay (I believe you need to subscribe to icloud plus for this to even be an option).

Would not recommend upgrading ios until this is fixed.

I do not have private relay (I believe you need to subscribe to icloud plus for this to even be an option).

Is type 65 blocking enabled?
1, tb

i think iOS may evade whatever dns you set on your network and use some apple fallback dns...

i've noticed the same issue, even with ios16, but not always.

grep your logs and you may see several requests for servers that mention apple and dns in their name

Yes, type 65 blocking enabled (IPv4 & IPv6), and my old pre-ios17 devices and android are still blocking ads correctly. I rebooted the router also. The ads are on an M1 ipad pro running IpadOS 17.1.1
IOS 17 is a brand new release; I was just informed it was available this morning.

I’ve been running iOS 17 and iPadOS 17 since it released (currently on 17.2 beta 2) and haven’t noticed any issues. I just loaded up several ad heavy websites and didn’t see any ads load.

I’m using the large Diversion list.

That‘s weird (late); iOS 17 was released on September 18 (2023).

Thought the same. If what @spicynujac laments is true then other users would have long since complained.
I wouldn't know as my version of Diversion in use is significantly different from the release version. And mine definitively has no type 65 leaks.

I’ve been running iOS 17 and iPadOS 17 since it released (currently on 17.2 beta 2) and haven’t noticed any issues. I just loaded up several ad heavy websites and didn’t see any ads load.

I’m using the large Diversion list.
I have 1 iPhone (daughter's) in the house with Standard list and type 65 enabled without any issues!

Is OP using pixelserv? If not, they should: it helps.

I experienced what the original poster experienced a few months ago on my iPhone after an upgrade. My best guess is that some sort DNS over https is enabled with no way to turn if off. My router is running Diversion with Pixelserv with Quad9 DNS. Type 65 blocking is enabled. The iPhone would report my DNS servers as Cloudflare. Without a solution, I decided to download and install a Quad9 DNS profile and live without my router blocking. I am using 1Blocker on iOS.

Last edited:
I'm "only" on the medium diversion blocklist. I could go to a higher level, but I pulled out an old ipad air running ios 12.5.6 and no ads there so it appears to be something specific with the upgrade this morning to ios17 (Ipad17.1.1OS specifically). Yes I'm using pixelserv.
As I'm not getting these ads on any other device on my network (including other mobile devices and even other ipads), it does appear to be something specifically related to ios17/ipados17.1.1

When I check the wifi settings on my ipad, Configure DNS is set to Automatic (meaning whatever the router tells it to use) and under that it has DNS server 168.192.50.1 (my AsusMerlin router). So it doesn't seem to be bypassing my router as EmeraldDeer mentioned above.

I experienced what the original poster experienced a few months ago on my iPhone after an upgrade. My best guess is that some sort DNS over https is enabled with no way to turn if off. My router is running Diversion with Pixelserv with Quad9 DNS. Type 65 blocking is enabled. The iPhone would report my DNS servers as Cloudflare. Without a solution, I decided to download and install a Quad9 DNS profile and live without my router blocking. I am using 1Blocker on iOS.
I notice that the OP stresses they do not have Apple Private Relay enabled; I wonder if you possibly had it enabled on your iPhone?

My WiFi DNS settings have continued to be Automatic --> 192.168.50.1 even though the router has not actually been used for DNS

I notice that the OP stresses they do not have Apple Private Relay enabled; I wonder if you possibly had it enabled on your iPhone?
I do not have Apple Private Relay enabled.

Might be worth running dnscheck.tools in a browser address window on the ipad and comparing it to what you get when running the same check on a browser in your desktop and posting the results?

Last edited:
If I use the follow function of Diversion, I see zero queries from my iPhone and 2 iPads but do see queries from my other devices

Update: Even though I only installed Quad 9 DNS profile to iPhone, it is there on both iPads as if I had installed it to those two devices as well

Last edited:
My WiFi DNS settings have continued to be Automatic --> 192.168.50.1 even though the router has not actually been used for DNS
Do you have “Router” set under Global Redirection in DNS Director (which is set to On) on the LAN page?

after updating to iOS 17 it auto enables "Private Wi-Fi Address" by default did you toggle this off? Will issue a private MAC address at home which used to upset diversion for me.

'Limit IP Address Tracking' needs to be toggled off too iirc?

after updating to iOS 17 it auto enables "Private Wi-Fi Address" by default did you toggle this off? Will issue a private MAC address at home which used to upset diversion for me.

'Limit IP Address Tracking' needs to be toggled off too iirc?
That did it! (Did not work just turning off private wifi address, but turning off Limit IP Address Tracking also did the trick).
Awesome!