What's new

Skynet IoT blocking

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JTnola

Regular Contributor
Please, can someone point me to an explanation of what’s happening under the hood when you block an IoT device using SkyNet?

Thank you!

Tell us how you're doing that in Skynet, first.

i think it is so that the IOT device can't "call home". may break some functionality.

@XIII, I know that setting. Just starting with basics before we start assuming things and go all tangential.

@XIII, I know that setting. Just starting with basics before we start assuming things and go all tangential.

Yes option 11 > option 11

I’m looking for a reference as to what’s actually happening under the hood when I use that shortcut — thank you

(It “broke” one device in an unexpected way, so understanding what’s actually happening by using this option will be helpful info)

thanks!!

It blocks a user-defined list of local devices by source IP or subnet, so they cannot reach the internet. Exceptions can be made for specific ports like NTP or something else you specify.
But it shouldn’t do anything to isolate the IoT device from the rest of the LAN, correct? Only block the device’s access to the WAN interface? (Also, “blocks” how?)

thank you!!

But it shouldn’t do anything to isolate the IoT device from the rest of the LAN, correct? Only block the device’s access to the WAN interface? (Also, “blocks” how?)

thank you!!
i used to have a webcam that you could see the video only on a mobile app. to do that the cam connected to a server in europe, and then my app would also connect to the server. If i placed the cam on the IOT block list , this woudl not work anymore because the cam was prevented from reaching the server. i don't have that cam anymore :) anything that calls home, may be sending info from stuff in your lan. so it's a judgement call which IOT to block or not, depending on your comfort level.

i used to have a webcam that you could see the video only on a mobile app. to do that the cam connected to a server in europe, and then my app would also connect to the server. If i placed the cam on the IOT block list , this woudl not work anymore because the cam was prevented from reaching the server. i don't have that cam anymore :) anything that calls home, may be sending info from stuff in your lan. so it's a judgement call which IOT to block or not, depending on your comfort level.
That’s what I think is happening with my device in question — just wanted to double check that IoT blocking wasn’t doing anything else strange under the hood that could account for the strange behavior I have with one device.

Apparently, even when my air purifier (❗️) and smartphone are on the same WiFi network, the air purifier needs to connect to an external server just so I can control it through my smartphone app. ?!! (No thank you!! Lol)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!