What's new

IoT devices on guest network question(s)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

L&LD's flip phone is definitely not IoT. :cool:

I can't knock keeping it simple... I'm torn between old and new... a natural generational affect but on steroids in these times.

OE

Yes, but you're the one who quoted me and asked. :)

I asked a rhetorical question to make my point... IoT is everywhere and to say one should simply keep it out of their house and off of their network is to ignore your own usage no matter how you frame it.

OE

Now it's a rhetorical question? Okay.

IoT isn't everywhere. That is your false assumption.

I'm not ignoring my own usage, I'm stating that is what I do, no matter how you try to spin it now.

The best security for IoT devices; don't power them up within your home, and most certainly don't connect them to your router (main, guest, YazFi, wired, or otherwise).
This gets difficult when you have children that smuggle devices into their rooms and connect them without your knowledge. I am constantly monitoring the network for unusual devices, and finding them often. Right now my daughter has smuggled in some kind of Apple device that is set to use randomized MAC addresses when associating. It's been two days and so far each day it pops on the network for an hour or so and transfers 1-2 Gb from the iTunes store. What makes it difficult is she is adamant she doesn't know what I'm talking about.

I could use the MAC filter to be a whitelist, but 64 is not enough slots to allow all my devices and friends and family who use the WiFi when visiting.

See post 6.

But humans are not IoTs, yet.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!