What's new

IoT shows up as wired; it's not

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

retzer

Occasional Visitor
I have a AC68W on 384.5 and it's been running great. This weekend I was reading about this router exploit going around and how IoT devices are susceptible in general and thought maybe it was time to lock down my Trane XL824 wireless thermostat. So earlier today I gave it a static IP on its own no-lan guest 2.4 network and put it behind the VPN. I was looking up something else just now and I saw the client status list indicates a wired connection. Not true. Until now it's always shown up correctly as wireless. In my world of things to worry about this is low on the list but I'm just wondering if this is something I did (very possible) or a Trane thing or a bug or I don't know what. Any ideas?

Network Map has always been a little odd there - I wouldn't worry too much about it...

Thanks. Like I said, this is low on my list, I was more curious than anything. And next time I'll widen my search parameters before posting.

If you've properly locked down the device then I wouldn't worry about it.

I'm running an N66 as an AP device connected to an 1900 and everything that connects wirelessly to the N66R shows up as wired in the network map on the 1900. This is both routers running 380.70.